final blog


Advertisement
Asia
July 28th 2009
Published: July 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Final Blog from Pakistan!

Monday evening here and Geoff and I are feeling very tired having completed the 5 day training programme for the teachers! Tired but good as we were really pleased with the response and how it all went! It means that we are leaving on a high so if nothing else the teachers of Syedanwala will remember Mr Sock and how to make a flower using a compass!
The weather was terrible, well people here thought it was great, as there was heavy rain! This meant that the tracks turned into mud and everyone was at least an hour late in arriving. Some then complained when we were an hour later finishing at the end of the day!!
Other days have been so hot and humid that Geoff has come back to our room to change half way through the day as his clothes have been soaking! The fans work when we had power but it is difficult as things get blown away and they are noisy. The electricity problem made computer training rather a farce also but eventually most teachers made a couple of pages of a power point presentation.
We did sessions on teaching English,
trainingtrainingtraining

the male teachers using a compass some for the first time!
geometry, bullying, science-sounds, reading and getting Parents into School. The geometry sessions were quite amazing as although the text books have a lot of practical geometry in them it was beyond some staff who found handling rulers and compasses a challenge. This is why we wanted to get the large blackboard geometry sets and enough small equipment for the students to use as at the moment they just learn by rote! It was fantastic to see the adults enjoying, learning and discovering the maths that they have been teaching for the last 10 years!
The science sounds module was really good fun!! Plastic cup telephones!!! A revelation!! They can all tell you that sound is due to the vibration of air but again were amazed when we made reed straws and they felt the vibrations! Blowing over bottles and changing the pitch by adding water was pretty exciting too!
Then came the introduction of MR SOCK! To help less confident pupils etc. He was requested to return the next day and helped Geoff with teaching hundreds, tens and units.
The language was hard but we managed to get most things translated into Urdu and Rabia and Kosar supported every module
trainingtrainingtraining

lady teacher learning geometry
and translated as we spoke. As a facilitator it was difficult having started a discussion then having no idea where it went or even if people were staying on the subject! However in the reporting back the answers I had considered usually appeared.
Today we took a cupboard and filled it with the resources we have bought with everyone’s generous donations. We explained who the gift is from and that the items will enable each school to do all the activities that we have shown them since we arrived and during the training. It was good to see the staff reading the books and looking for the different things to make their science corners and display children’s work using hammers, nails, string and pegs.
So—a good time was had by all! Irfam GM is giving us a farewell lunch tomorrow and I have chosen the things I like to eat including some of the best mangoes I have ever had!
Then it’s up to Lahore to visit AIE and say goodbye and remind them that they promised us transport to the airport at midnight on Thursday! Home by
lunch time on Friday—and I really do wonder if I will go to bed and when I wake up ---will it all have been a rather marvellous and amazing dream?


On a rather upsetting note, Helen had an accident a few days ago and has hurt her back rather badly. She is having to wear a huge corset and says she looks like Robo-cop! So I am very glad that we are due home so soon as she needs a lot of help and there’s no one like your mum and dad when you are ill, is there?

Looking forward to meeting up with lots of you. Please stay in touch and thanks for all the support during our Pakistani adventure.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

it was so HOT!it was so HOT!
it was so HOT!

note MR SOCK!


30th July 2009

Welcome home
Have loved reading your blog and am inspired to travel and try and make a difference somewhere - would be great to catch up when you get back and swap notes about the children - hope Helen's back is better - ALWAYS REMEMBER Helen FALLING OFF THE BED WHEN SHE WAS TINY!! SEE YOU SOON HOPEFULLY - SORRY HAVEN'T KEPT UP TO DATE VERY WELL BUT MOSTLY England is wet!! Love Jo (sorry about the caps lock on!)
2nd August 2009

I've enjoyed reading your blogs, Jayne - and looking at your most interesting illustrations. This your final edition provides an excellent conclusion to the whole series. Plenty of material, too, for use in the future! We look forward to welcoming you on your return, [though you both must deserve a good rest, first!] All my best wishes to you both, David
2nd August 2009

hello.
It sounds like you've had a great time out there. I'm now married.
6th August 2009

Homecoming!!!!
Well Jane and Geoff, what a wonderful experience!!! You should be so proud of what you have both achieved out in Pakistan. Looking forward to seeing you back at Coundon Jane and listening to your stories. Have a good journey home and see you soon. x x Julie x x

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb