krabi (adam country - haha!)


Advertisement
Asia
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

so...

we spent one last night in our little hut, got up said goodbye to the gulf of thailand, caught a catamaran back to chompon, and then a 5 hour minivan ride to krabi (in the south/west coast - andaman sea).

minivan:

this was a super-duper minivan. it had a dvd player! dorota said that it takes away from the minivan experience. adam said, "yes, it takes away some of the crappiness!".

we watched the latest james bond movie. the only reason we mention this is that it had "english" subtitles. whoever transcribed this movie must have been from a remote village! they made no sense whatsoever, which was very entertaining. a few samples: a jamaican man says "hey mon", the subtitle says, "hello mommy". james asks his latest conquest if she is "feeling bad", and the subtitle says, "feeling ass". seriously! and it only got worse! love it!!

anyway, we arrived in small, quiet krabi, got a room from a very funny host (whom we have spoken with extensively at this point), and head out for the town market. great market!! (we're going back in a few moments).

we got adam's fav, som tom, which is spicey green papaya salad. the people in line, and the cook asked adam if he was sure he wanted it spicey. adam, feeling cocky from being hardened by the road, said resoundingly, "yes!"

adam now knows that he has limits in what he can eat.

tears streaming, nose running, mouth drooling, and a full body-sweat, but man was it GOOOOOOOD!

we watched some local children perform pop songs with full britney moves, watched some children paint, some play in a band, and some older thai kids butcher additional pop songs. spoke with VERY friendly locals, shot a pellet gun in a little target range (adam got close to his target all 15 times, though no actual hit - haha!) had a blast and hit the sack.

got up this morning, rented a motorbike, visited a temple that is built into a mountain, with it's own jungle. we walked through the jungle (recording every possible sound), saw a giant lizard. dorota got some footage of it, while being unsure if it ate humans. heard lots of birds, saw and shared our fruit with monkeys, dodged spiders, fed/pet elephants, entered caves, and nodded at monks.

we then visited mangroves, where the salt water of the ocean meets fresh water. the salt stays on the bottom, along with it's fish, while the fresh water and it's inhabitants stay on top. quite beautiful. a local thai man expained these things to us.

by the way, we should mention that krabi is surrounded by huge, amazing limestone cliffs (And caves) running into the emerald waters of the ocean.

we missed out on a national park we set out to visit, since we got lost, but at the same time never had a dull moment, so all's well...

visited another cave, where we were devoured by mosquitos! 😞

found a tiny village market, where dorota got a sausage!! she held out for 3 weeks!!

came back to our room, booked plane tickets from krabi to bangkok this friday (so that dorota can hit chatuchak market - all by herself - adam will get a massage instead!).

tomorrow, we'll catch a boat to railay (provided enough people show up to fill one), after a day or so, we'll set off to ko phi phi, and then back to krabi for the plane.

will try and keep y'all up to date.

with love,

a/d



Advertisement



26th July 2009

Hey, mon( Hi, from mommy)
Hope you're not feeling ass?!!!! Keith's been checking for your messages, daily, but does not reply because you're on vacation. Rachel moved her day to S.F. to see K's show, so I'll go there with Lon.( show) Dorota, thanks for the reassurance that you're both safe. you'll be home on Aug, 3, correct? Adam, remember your aim when you threw stones into the water? they went backwards-you're improving. (watch the lake!)love always
27th July 2009

chatuchak
limestone cliffs huh~ is that the place where the rocks are flouresent in the caves and in the water @ night? don't forget a nice hippie bag w/ a leather strap and some sandals for your midget friend! lol aaaawww wish i could go shopping w/ dorota! i went to the ghetty with some friends yesterday .... super fun especially w/ the kids. the museum there is free and we only paid $15 parking and brought food. ate towards the garden ....BEAUTIFUL! 2day stacia came down and we hippied-UP and went to venice and got super duper cute dresses ... oh of course they're probably made from china or thailand! lol miss yahz~ c.

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb