First Week Activities


Advertisement
Asia
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After class on Thursday we walked to Xujiahui Park, which is only about two blocks from the University. One of the Chinese volunteer students that attends Jiaotong University was our tour guide. It turned out to be a very nice, clear day, and the lush vegetation of the park provided a much needed escape from the city. Afterward, we walked down one of the streets lining Metro City Mall and got some pork and chicken kabobs from the street vendors, which is pretty popular among the people here.

Later Thursday night, I went with some guys to a bar called “The Shelter”, which had been renovated from an old bomb shelter. From the street, the entrance looked like just a hole in the wall, but luckily one of the guys had looked it up online. Otherwise, we would have never found it. From the entrance, we went down some stairs and followed a long cave-like tunnel to the bar and lounge area. Inside, there was a dj and some people playing live trumpet and drums. The place was big and dark, and you could definitely tell that it used to be a bomb shelter, but it was unique. Like most other bars and clubs in Shanghai, almost everyone at this place was American or European. The only Asians there appeared to be fairly westernized. Most bars here are expensive by Asian standards, and I don't think it is very typical for native Chinese, even college students, to go out and party like American college-age people. The bar was relatively close to campus, so we walked instead of taking a taxi. One thing that I can't help but notice walking around at night, is that the police force is very visible. Even though there are not many people walking on the streets at night, almost every hotel and some banks have guards watching the front entrance. Since there is almost no violent crime in China, it is surprising that there is so much security at night.

On Friday afternoon, we took a trip to the French Concession area branching off of Huaihai Road. In the mid-nineteenth century, France leased a large plot of land in the southwestern part of Shanghai, and their sense of style is still apparent in the many historic houses, churches, and residences. Many of the retail shops that line the main streets even display the latest clothing and apparel from Paris. We took a walk through Fuxing Park, where the French established a large green space with their famous rose gardens. This is definitely one of the more high-end spots in Shanghai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



24th May 2009

Hi Matt
Very cool trip.....pics and narrative very interesting. Have fun...

Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb