K2 Base Camp Trek Guide: When to Visit & How to Get an Access to Trek Destination?


Advertisement
Asia
February 9th 2022
Published: February 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

K2 is known to be the 2nd highest mountain in the world and an enthralling mountain. Among the best adventure treks in the world is the K2 Base Camp Trek. It is impossible to describe the sheer size and scale of this peak, but for many people, the view is a lifelong dream.

Let’s dive into more discussion about what this base trek is all about and how to reach there!

Trekking to K2 base camp

It takes 14 days for the trek (up and down) to reach K2 base camp. Leaving the small green oasis behind, the mighty Karakoram is revealed in its entire splendor. On either side of the wide valleys, soaring cliffs and sharp summits rise. After the first day of trekking, trekkers are camped below Bakhor Das, affectionately known as Mango Peak for its peculiarly shaped summit cone.

Three days later, Trango Towers and Cathedral stand sentinel over the trail, their granite spires rising high into the sky. The views of the first 7,000-meter peaks (22966ft) become evident once on the Baltoro Glacier: Masherbrum and Muztagh Tower.

Although they are dominant, it isn't long before the first peaks over 8,000m (26247ft) appear. The Gasherbrum Range, a massif consisting of five peaks over 7,000m (two are over 8,000m) lays at the end of Baltoro Glacier.

When should I travel?

Generally speaking, the hiking season in the Karakoram occurs from mid-June to mid-September, although July and August are the best months for trekking. Passes and slopes facing north remain closed outside of those dates due to excessive snow.

A changeable climate can be expected in the Karakoram. It can be windy, or rainy, snowy, and even the temperature can plummet during night.

How you can access to K2 Base Camp?

Trekking to K2 base camp requires a licensed guide to accompany you, as well as a certificate of no objection from the tourism office in Skardu. In order to reach Askole, trekkers must drive six hours via 4WD from Skardu, which is reached after a one-hour flight from Islamabad. Excess luggage can be left at the guesthouse in Skardu. You may need a visa to enter Pakistan.

Terrain & Accommodation during K2 Base Camp

This is a very different terrain from Nepal's well-trodden trails. It is likely that cross-country walking will be required on the Baltoro Glacier because of constant ice shifting and crevasses opening up. Additionally, it isn't uncommon for rivers to swell beyond their capacity or for footbridges to wash away, so prepare your feet for a wet trip.

Throughout the K2 base camp trek, there is only camping to choose from. The tents are designed for just two people, so solo travelers should somehow expect to share. Make sure to also bring a thick, warm piece of camping mattress as campsites are all the more pitched on rock, ice or sometimes both. Moreover, the majority of campsites do not have facilities for doing your business, so it is advisable to do your business in the wild, following the "leave no trace" principle (e.g. digging holes or burning toilet paper).

Advertisement



Tot: 3.96s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1822s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb