The Water Festival


Advertisement
Asia
November 4th 2017
Published: November 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The river promenade was packed with thousands of people, blue teams, red teams, street food stalls and everything else you can name being sold. Many people come in from the provinces to enter in the hotly contested river boat races, camping in the park and anywhere else there is space. We took a tuk tuk as it would have been hopeless in the car. Everyone wants to pat Alexander’s head as he is so blonde.

The only thing we weren’t sure about food wise, were the stir fried insects, complete with spices and chillies. All those legs! Good source of protein though.

The course is very long so first of all the boats, a bit like dragon boats but longer, have to battle the current to get up to the start line, and then race down flat out with the current in pairs. We thought it may have been like a round robin tournament as the pairs just kept coming. As soon as they finished they paddle madly back upstream. Or they could have been time trials.

After half an hour walking in the 30 degree heat we retreated to an air conditioned patisserie and boulangerie for perfect flats white (or flat whites) and almond croissants.

Following our French theme we had a really nice dinner at a French restaurant (complete with NZ Sauvignon Blanc) memorable for the walk there through many little back alleyways. We nearly lost Ian at one stage but a very kind local said “they’ve gone that way“. It’s hard to describe the traffic but think of wall to wall motorbikes, scooters and tuk tuks with the odd Ford Ranger and 4wd Lexus thrown in. But, we were never in any danger as they were only inching forward as space and pedestrians allowed.

The ride home in a tuk tuk was very exhilarating. Like dodgems but you don’t actually hit anyone. We were facing backwards which helped.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



6th November 2017

Bronwyn's comments
You have made this trip sound wonderful so far except for the fried insects which made my stomach curdle. Frog's legs - no, snails- no, cupcakes - yes, pastries - yes. Keep on enjoying xx

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb