wet market, central, Temple


Advertisement
Asia
October 2nd 2017
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Hong Kong - Man Mo Temple, Dim Sum in Lin Heung Tea House

Our check out being at a leisurely 12pm, we headed out on the wet market and dived in the crowds. The aroma of fish pungent in the air, the hustle and bustle of a market. We breakfasted on rice vermicelli congee (served with liver, cockles and ginger for Scott and Jerry, minus the liver obvs), nicely settling, and 2 steamed buns for celine, stuffed with a beautiful sweet crushed peanut paste, yum.

We then left north point area, jumping on a tram heading towards central for one last top deck pootling experience. Our destination: Sheung Wan antiques area, with Man Mo temple. Deities venerated here are a god of literature and a god of martial arts, very relevant! Steep narrow lanes with stairs, stalls selling jade and antiquities, a bit like our antiques quarter in Sheffield!

Anyone who knows me well in Sheffield knows that I'd been aching to have Dim sum for a long time and HK is the home of it. Chris had suggested Lin Heung Tea House on HK island at the corner of Wellington and Aberdeen streets in the central area.

The first hurdle was to find a table. This is a convivial system: If there are seats available at an already occupied table, you go there and share it.
We then had to fathom how to order, let alone find an English menu.

we discovered after a few long minutes that no waiter will come to you but you have to help yourself:

You have your order card which you take to a lady serving dim sum in the centre of the gigantic room from a trolley; the crowds are fierce and I felt like I was exercising as much as eating!
It was hard to find vegetarian dishes for Jerry so he mostly ate steamed rice in (banana/bamboo?) leaf parcel, and steamed cake, with lashings of jasmine tea. Scott and me pigged out on shrimp and pork parcels and various innards (from fish it turned out). Mega yum!

This is not quite the serene experience a tea house evokes but once you get the hang if it, it is strangely invigorating!

I could not come to Hong Kong and not have dim sum so thank you once again Chris for recommending this!

Temple street night market, coffeetea drink in a cafe, followed by souvenir shopping, before heading off to TsingYi to pick up our luggage and the express to the airport. Goodnight and goodbye Hong Kong!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb