Day 34: A day of nothingness with ANZAC reflection


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 25th 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.2452, 109.199

Pleased to say that we woke this morning without growing an exoskeleton and although we had a few little skittles around the bedroom sideways we were soon walking straight again after a night of over indulgence with seafood.

In fact, despite declaring I would never eat again, I was making a straight line for breakfast. We are on a mission here at the beautiful Amiana - certainly the resort with the largest buffet arrangement of breakfast in any city - 6 massive food islands to conquer and each one has so many food stations to discover.

We had no trouble settling into the relaxed pace of the day, with ease. We had planned absolutely nothing and Nha Trang turned on the weather to make this possible. The early morning mist did hang heavy and low over the bay until just after 10 but then the weather opened up to a scorcher of a day. Walks and dips in the many pools were interspersed with reading, snoozing and people watching.

Loraine has been lost in her book and has been quietly turning the now tear stained pages of "A Little Paris Bookshop ". It has been so good that she has made herself stop reading it because she doesn't want it to be over! Got to get a copy of this one.

Of course, ever conscious of where the next meal was coming from, had "prepared one a little earlier" by snaffling a fresh bread roll from breakfast and effortlessly demolished the last two and a half crabs from last night. Ever resourceful, completed the crab cracking using a perfectly rounded stone from the garden.

The only commitment for the day was the resort shuttle bus departing at 4.00 pm.

Caught the bus down the hill for the 20 minute ride to the city and included visits to a few more pearl shops ( have new contender - an AKOYO MABE pearl) and walked a country mile through the parks of the foreshore.

Wherever there is a road, there's never a dull moment. You could people watch and traffic watch forever! So many near misses provide hours of gobsmacking, heartstopping, catch your breath thrills on just one kilometre of a four lane main road, with nothing more than a concrete "barrel" set in the middle of selected intersections to control the chaos. It sort of explains why everyone is out and about and why we have not seen one movie theatre in our travels. Real life is much better than an action movie.

We were looking for some Australian inspired offerings for ANZAC Day and headed for the Aussie owned Sailing Club. This was the first time in quite a while where we were actually a little peckish (I had been the only "luncher" with the crab roll.)

Definitely no two-up game in progress and the multicultural mix of staff, from the manager to the wait staff had no idea what we were talking about when we inquired about ANZAC Day.

Ordered a jug of Sangria and a Dirty Pineapple and thought about ordering plain old fish and chips. Didn't quite work out that simple. Enjoyed the open air venue right on the beach and do think we solved lots of world problems as we "chewed the fat" reading the Aussie headlines and the viral ANZAC Day backlash to insensitive social media posts. Reviewed the sporting results and wondered how @Ross would feel as the "winner" in Melbourne.

Were so lost in deep and meaningful conversation that we had accidentally ordered dessert for EVERYONE! That is a rarity. Have to admit the double scoops (because we can) of ice cream were so good we were licking the plate (discreetly of course.)

A last little saunter along the beach in front of the Sailing Club and, of course, even despite the hour, the sand, grass and concrete picnic areas of the beach were still busy.The swimmers had deserted the water but the bay was now filled by the ever present string of lights associated with the blue and grey fishing boats. Their lights were strung out at regular intervals along the sweeping expanse of the bay and their sheer number makes you wonder how any fish or squid survive the night!

We gave the resort bus a miss and took a beeping, swerving cab ride back to the resort for the princely sum of $8. Do think that we saved lots of time on the return journey because we drove most of it ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD! But that uncanny ability to take advantage of any small opportunity typifies the entrepreneur of Vietnam.

Steps: 6 915
Temperature: 34 degrees

PS: Despite continued vigilance and lots of undercover activity in Operation DUMBO, still no sign of the missing Elephant Bag. Sad but true.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



29th April 2017

Well, you guys have certainly ended your trip in a little bit of paradise.....stunning shots Jan.....simply picture perfect!! And of course, THE FOOD!

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb