Day 32: A warm welcome from a sweeping bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 23rd 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.2452, 109.199

It was so easy packing up this morning with the advantage of carefully folded clothing and the luxury of the extra room in the Kipling monkey bag. Final goodbyes with Twee, a dash to the shoe shop (they are amazing) and we were all set for the 11 am meeting with Huan for the 45 minute transfer to Danang airport and the short flight to Nha Trang.

Huan saw us safely through the checkin procedure but there was no emotional farewell here. Think he was glad to see the back of his "happy Buddha" clients (sorry LO_RI, not suggesting you are in Buddha class) and was heading out with redoubled efforts for his bike ride, road run and swim. We did have a phone call from Trails of Indochina to get a "happiness rating" from us for our Central Vietnam visit (of course we were very happy - he had done a great job) so we were quite relieved that we didn't get either a Huan on the spot fact test or a feedback form to complete.

No hold up with bullets in the luggage and just a single kilo over on the baggage scales. Comfortingly, no rats in the Lotus Lounge - that we could see in our short visit. Have to say there was not much else in the lounge either. What a disappointment it was. Very low key. The meagre food choices available were wrapped in gladwrap. The baby poo lounge chairs were ... heaven forbid ... all the SAME and the drink fridges only stocked Pepsi (yuck...wash your mouth out!) and not coca cola. We are becoming "precious" about our business class privileges.

Did get our own bus out to the aircraft though and settled into the expected expansive seats. Once in the air we were quick to unravel the food trays... but oh no, shock horror, because it was only a 45 minute flight, there was no food service and definitely no alcohol. Had to settle for a thimble sized cup of tea and coffee.

The window seat offered sweeping views of the coastline as we tracked south on a low flight path. Could see the mountains or the coast for almost the duration of the trip ( guess that was a lame attempt to distract us from starvation and dehydration.) Couldn't see the patterns of the rice crops any more but could definitely make out the constant stream of fishing boats, floating villages and fish farms and we were salivating at the prospect of seafood.

We had to call on the fat reserves to survive this marathon without eating.

Touched down right on time after following the coastline south and actually seeing blue skies without smog for the first time in a long while! Found our luggage intermingled with everyone else's (unacceptable) and Mac eventually spotted our new guide Huay, (pronounced "Wee",) hiding behind a post.

The airport was 45 minutes south of Nha Trang and our resort 20 minutes north of the town centre. We hugged the coastline on the dual lane highway for the run into town. With a population of 400 000 the drive did seem quieter but the double lane makes such a difference. Evidence of resort construction everywhere and the billboard advertising and the sweeping views of the bay and the islands were dominated by one resort - Vinpearl. This island resort can only be accessed by cable car or boat and the towers and the dangling cars attached to the cable-run seemed to be visible from every vantage point on our drive.

The closer we got to the city centre, the busier it became. White sand, blue water, boats, floating slides, kites, volleyball courts, umbrellas, low chairs, picnic tables and lots of swimmers bobbing in the water. Not to mention the increasing stream of scooters with 2, 3, 4 and even 5 passengers on board all swerving and jockeying for position on the road, turning from any lane, passing from either side with the usual degrees of determination and decorum. There are very few traffic lights but loads of intersections and somehow the traffic never stops....with patience and awareness everything just flows.

Saw one family of four on their bike all decked out in their "team" uniform and one gentleman was moving a huge sideboard slowly down the street.

We had to make a detour to a deli and Huay and driver were quick to oblige. It was 3.15 and we were starving ( I know, how could that be possible.) Picked up some toasties and a "Subway" like burger, added a few supplies from the bottl-o and continued north. Huan had started the commentary for us and was pointing out the landmarks to ensure we could make our own way to the resort if we ventured out. And we could just spot our resort's beach glimmering in the far distance on the edge of the peninsular.

Our home for four nights is the exclusive Amiana, perched above a private beach on the peninsular. We were welcomed to the expansive reception lounge, foyer and bar with the obligatory cld hand towels and a cup of ginger infused tea. The backdrop was water, fountains, water falls, infinity pool, salt water pool, sand and ocean. What's not to love?

Loaded into the golf car (oh no, that reminds me, back to work next week) for the very short ride to the adjoining ocean view villas of 103 and 104. Deck chairs and umbrellas in the sand, deck chairs on the veranda, sitting room, bedroom, vaulted wooden ceilings, lighted stairways, TV hinged to wall that swings between rooms, floor to ceiling glass giving sweeping ocean views, walk in ensuite and an outside bath and shower.

Yep, it's outside. A glass ceiling covers the bath and shower, "romantically created for two" and the rest of the room is an open live garden complete with pandanus palm and shrubs. So inviting! (Darn, Loraine shared the story of the possible reptile and mammal invasion in the outside bath! ) On the downside, you can draw the blind in the lounge room and use the window for a live show! Wish I had my hi-viz vest from the Great Wall of China, maybe you could see me from space!

It was a beautiful afternoon so we strolled along the ocean, visited the "KGB" villas (there are lots and lots of Russians here....Preevyet) and settled into the Lagoon Bar for the happy hour cocktails.

Showered and walked the 20 metres to the dining room. (As an aside: if over 60s are to find this romantic, ....or those with knee replacements @NDowding... need to include a wheel chair ramp, a people-mover travelator or hoist to get in and out of the bath ....just saying! Actually, a private joke for LO_RI, something a little more akin to the support we saw in Scone might do the trick!)

Thought we had it all sorted but somehow the Chinese whispers of translation got it all wrong and we ended up with courses delivered randomly and actually a "no show" for Loraine's starter! Showed just the right amount of gracious disappointment and managed to score complimentary dessert for the team (and of course it looks as if that's just what we needed.) Well played Loraine. Have to say we enjoyed the meal in whatever order it arrived and finished the night with a stroll along the beach under the stars (we think they are there....haven't seen them in a while...starting to think we are on the set of a cheap version of "Truman."😉

Definitely recommend Nha Trang but it is back to work tomorrow and we are heading off shore!

Steps: 7 555
Temperature: 31 degrees

PS @AuntyGail the best thing about the holiday is the laughter! Can't stop. There's something bizarre and crazy at every corner. Great travelling companions with quirky sense of humour adds to the general merriment. Absolutely confirming we do LAUGHOUTLOUD lots every day. Speaking of which, the hurdle into the bathtub under the "romantic" shower built for two has been the funniest thing to date. Can only hint at the range of complications encountered by both genders but gives a whole new meaning to the concept of wedgie. Now that was side splittingly funny and I may be scarred for life....literally and metaphorically. #UNbloggable #UNshareable


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



27th April 2017

I am so looking forward to all the stories that can't be printed in the blog!!.....Amiana looks stunning.....as does Wayne in the bathroom (does he always shower in a towel?????)....xxxx

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb