Day 15: First class border crossing


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 6th 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 21.0243, 105.855

Guess you could describe this as a day of waiting. Our last TOOLong call was at 3 pm and I nearly needed all day to complete the APT Survey. There were hundreds of questions. I did draw the line at any that had to do with marketing their next trip. Anyway, with homework completed we could use the rest of the day to get organised.

Met for a leisurely breakfast and confess that we ate till 10.30 and then attacked the packing, re-packing and the repack of the repack to try and get everything back in the cases. LO_RI made just one more run the the markets for a last bargain or two - a stop over at the Columbia shop to stock up on some travel gear.

Bags out and checked out at 1 pm meant that the 20 passengers for the 3.15 departure were congregated in the bar for lunch and a drink. Siem Reap was turning on the rain again and this was interspersed with hot humid conditions. Everyone was content to sit back and relax and the political commentary was around the US bombing of Syria and the closure of the Laos-Cambodia border and there was even some consultation on the field for the upcoming races on the weekend.

The Sofitel crowd turned out in numbers to give us one last hurrah as the bus pulled away. Have to say that we did enjoy our time in Cambodia.

The airport checkin was a breeze because all of our internal flights have been upgraded to business class. What a treat. There was a long line snaking through the terminal but we avoided that and joined Helen from the APT business class line. No idea what she was yabbering on about but her time at the counter in front of us was the only delay. As we leisurely fronted up to security TOOLong gave us the big hurry on because there was a large, noisy, "pushy" group coming behind us. Was a good tip. We took his advice and headed for the first class Lounge to enjoy snacks, wine, a rum and tea and coffee; comfy seats, great toilets, charging stations and wifi.

Helen had herself totally confused and had sidled up to us thinking that she was flying with us to Hanoi. She was turned away as we boarded the flight - she was actually flying to Ho Chi Minh City. Thank goodness her flight was ten minutes after ours, otherwise that could have been a disaster.

Definitely think we could get used to business class. So much room the seat was actually too big for me (couldn't have my tail bone at the back of the seat and my feet on the floor - it was an either or - but that's okay, !)

Leg room was amazing though. Seats were comfortable, attention from the steward was immediate for the 6 travellers who were the envy of everyone else on the flight. The pre dinner wine was cold and served before take-off. There were two delicious choices for dinner and it was served in beautiful china with stainless steel cutlery accompanied by a napkin that had a button hole to attach to your shirt front.

The flight was over almost before it began. And the slide through immigration this time was a breeze. Presented our multi entry visa in the "Foreigners" line and strolled through the "nothing to declare" customs line to find our guide Way (no idea how to spell it correctly) waiting for us with the 10 seater van.

Think it is going to be an exciting few days with Way and driver Ha. We were definitely entertained on the 45 minute journey from the airport to the city centre of Hanoi, as the 54 year old Vietnamese tour guide threw himself over the back of the front seat and began his animated commentary. You would have to hear his laugh to appreciated how full of life and all it's stories that he really is. With arms flying in all directions, large white teeth constantly exposed in a cheesy grin, skin shining with the glisten of Hanoi's constant "mist" and a spindly frame that would be lucky to hit 50 kgs dripping wet, this 5 foot nothing live wire would be a caricature artist's delight.

We were brain numb and despite invoking the best of our concentration powers were probably collectively got 40% of what he was saying. It was sort of like playing charades with the four of us calling out individual words we managed to get trying to help each other make sense of story he was weaving. Loraine was definitely the "Queen of Charades" and somehow we got the construction history of the new international airport, the highway and the bridges, previewed the meaning of Hanoi, learnt about the dyke, the Red River and the Chinese Dam, previewed the mosaic and got the names for the land marks were drove by.

Way organised our check in and true to the form of the accommodation to date, the Apricot a Hotel. lt was like heaven. And the entrance carried an additional bonus. To the left was a sign advertising "Poker" and to the right was an illuminated Playboy sign complete with the obligatory four bunny girls dressed in black satin jump suits.

I followed Mindy's lead and celebrated my birthday using Australian time. Ripped open my presents and then headed to the bar for a cocktail and watched the bustle of Hanoi. Called it quits at 12.02 am local time and had quietly sung the birthday song in the lift and corridors of the Apricot Hotel.

Steps: 6 683
Temperature;: 32 degrees

PS Spent 90 minutes in the Business Office dealing with Mac's bricked iPad. The iPad 2 had taken a software update automatically and now required "authorisation" which meant we had to plug into a PC. Unfortunately the hotel computer only had version 9.3 of iTunes and we needed 12.2 to make any progress. Without admin rights on the hotel PC we were stymied. Had to call IT for them to give a hand. But success at last - Mac can play Civilisation again....oh, can do the banking, check email and edit the blog. Was having a little trouble reading the text on his phone...even with his glasses. But balance in the world has been restored.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



11th April 2017

So thinking of you today Jan on your special day.......but haven't been near facebook or the computer as I have had the family up from Melbourne, as well as Ruby.....back to normal now, so catching up on your blogs and of course loving them
....xxxx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb