Tay Ninh Province


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
June 12th 2006
Published: June 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hidden tunnelHidden tunnelHidden tunnel

Can you spot the entrence to the tunnel?
Hi All,

I had an eventful day yesterday, grouped up with 3 other people to rent a car (+ driver) to visit some sights in Tay Ninh Province. Tay Ningh is about 100km NW of HCMC and it is appearently the hottest province in the country.

We started the day by visiting CuChui tunnels which have been in existance for about 50 years, first being used to thwart French re-colonization attemps after the war and later on as resistance to US-backed Saigon troops. The tunnels were ingenious in resisting various attacks by US which has much greater firepower as well as technology.

Moving on, we went to the Co Dai Holy See which is the Vatican of CoDaism. CoDaism is a fusion of religious philosphies of the East and the West including Buddisim, Confucianism, Taoism, Christainity and Islam. I am sure I won't be able to give a proper explaination of it so I won't even attempt to do so. There should be info floating around on the net and you can always "google" it.

Finally, we rounded out the day by spending some time at the park at Nui Ba Den (Black Lady Mountain) which is
Hidden tunnelHidden tunnelHidden tunnel

Stefan in the tunnel. Its quite small and I dont' think I can fit in it.
a very pleasent park at the foot of the mountain which is about 850m above ground level. We also managed to take the chair-lift up the mountain where the temperature was much more bearable. There were come cave temples as well as an ornate Chinese-looking temple.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

GuerrillasGuerrillas
Guerrillas

Having tea with the local friendly freedom fighters.
Real Guns!Real Guns!
Real Guns!

Check out the machine gun with live rounds. You can shoot all sorts of guns here from a desert eagle to US issue M-16 and of course, the AKs.
Crawling throught tunnelsCrawling throught tunnels
Crawling throught tunnels

Its dark, cramped and very claustrophobic. I don't know how VC soilders survived underground for years even though their physical stature was smaller.
GuerrilasGuerrilas
Guerrilas

V for victory!
Big FootBig Foot
Big Foot

Literally this time.
CrocsCrocs
Crocs

I wrestled this one to the ground before promptly chased out by the shopkeeper.
Co Dai TempleCo Dai Temple
Co Dai Temple

Looks kinda like a cathedral with its twin towers in the front.
Co Dai TempleCo Dai Temple
Co Dai Temple

Frontal view.
Co Dai TempleCo Dai Temple
Co Dai Temple

All the windows were like this one.
Divine EyeDivine Eye
Divine Eye

Kinda neat looking...
MuralMural
Mural

This mural greets you at the enterance of the temple.
Into the hallInto the hall
Into the hall

At the side enterance to the great hall.
Chair LiftsChair Lifts
Chair Lifts

Up the mountain, takes 17min and costs 25 000 Dong each way. Not too bad, as the alternative on foot will take 3 hours each way. Oh the scenery is amazing.
Roller coaster rideRoller coaster ride
Roller coaster ride

On the way down, it looks really neat but it was closed by the time we were ready to come down 5:45pm. Damn the lazy hours!
The rescue rangersThe rescue rangers
The rescue rangers

Reduced to carrying trash baskets at the park at the foot of Nui Ba Den.
Nui Ba DenNui Ba Den
Nui Ba Den

Monkeying around
Nui Ba DenNui Ba Den
Nui Ba Den

Reclining Buddah
Nui Ba DenNui Ba Den
Nui Ba Den

Overlooking the temples and the rice paddies beyond
Nui Ba DenNui Ba Den
Nui Ba Den

At the foot of the mountain with my commarades
Nui Ba DenNui Ba Den
Nui Ba Den

After a streneous climb to the top (about 30 steps from where the chairlift drop you)


14th June 2006

Your blog helps these late night work hours go by so much faster. Those tunnels look so wicked! hahaha you look like such a rebel with that machine gun.... you're no rambo but you'd at least give him a couple shots b4 he finishes you off.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb