On Tour in Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
September 30th 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Cu Chi TunnelsCu Chi TunnelsCu Chi Tunnels

An actual entrance to a tunnel. I could only just fit in.
I was up early to get to the airport on time for my 7.25am flight to Ho Chi Minh City. The flight was easy, but the shock of being in Vietnam hit me as soon as I reached the airport exit. It was definitely necessary to get a taxi as any public transport would have been impossible.
When I got to the hotel where I was to meet up with the tour group, I was very happy to find that I was able to check in straight away, but no one else had arrived yet so I had a little rest before heading out for a wander around a big market down the road. When I got back everyone else had got to the hotel.
Most of the group had started the tour in Bangkok and come through Cambodia on the way. There were ten of us doing the Vietnam section, plus the tour leader, Rod, from Peru. The rest of the group consisted of Tjistke (pron. Jetska) from Holland, Alemim (Al) from Brazil, Lindsey from Calgary, Ryan from Northern Ireland and Sophie, Hannah, Stew, Tim and Adam all from England, and of course myself.
The following day we headed to the Cu Chi Tunnels. It was interesting there, but also a little sobering, especially going through the tunnels that had been widened for tourists, but still felt cramped. The Vietnamese gorillas had some clever tactics, but it would have been a horrible way to live. Although I guess war always is that way, whether living in tunnels or above ground.
Once we got back to the hotel we had a couple of hours to get packed up and ready for the overnight train from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang. This was an interesting experience. We had managed to get an upgrade to first class so it was quite comfortable. I sat in a room with Rod, Lindsey, Tjitske and Al looking at photos and watching videos from previous tours Rod had lead.
Nha Trang is a very laid back little town, great for hanging out on the beach. As a group of us were doing just that a bunch of Vietnamese came down to the beach and started playing around in the water, mostly fully clothed, including jeans, belts and even the occasional pair of shoes. It was a good laugh to watch them having so much fun.
On our second day in Nha Trang the whole group, with the exception of Tim, went across to Vinpearl Amusement Park. For US$15 we had access to the waterpark, Underwater World, outdoor rides and indoor fun, and also a return ride in the longest above water cable car in Southeast Asia. We all agreed that this was a great deal and we all had heaps of fun. Unfortunately we didn’t get to do everything that was available, though, as we had to get back the hotel to make sure we were sorted before we left for the next sleeper train.
The second train trip was not quite as pleasant as the first. We were in second class so the rooms/beds were not as nice, but the biggest problem was how much more that train rocked. I did, however, have fun learning a card game called Skip Bo, of which I won two of the four rounds.
At about 5.30am we unloaded ourselves from the train in Da Nang and straight onto a bus that would take us the rest of the way to Hoi An.
As soon as we had dropped our bags in our rooms a group of us went down to see the local fish and produce market. It was an interesting experience, but a little smelly, especially near the durian fruit. We were all just glad that there were no dogs or cats being sold for food that day, especially as our next stop was breakfast.
After breakfast Rod took us to his favourite tailor in town. I ended up getting four items made for myself. I got a pair of shorts, two pairs of pants and a dress. They were a little on the pricey side, but considering they were made specifically for me hopefully they will be worth it.
In the afternoon Tjitske and I hired bicycles and went for a bit of a ride around town before heading off in search of the beach. This turned out to be a bit of a hike as it was much further that was suggested on our map, but we did find it in the end.
That night we had dinner at the Cargo Club. It is a nice little restaurant with a patisserie attached that made some amazing deserts. Of course, being the sweet tooth that I am the deserts were the most memorable thing to me.
Al with lunchAl with lunchAl with lunch

On the boat back from My Son.

The following day, after breakfast, I went with Adam, Tim, Tjitske and Al to see the ruined temples at My Son (pron. Me Surn). We caught a bus there, but on the way back we went part way by boat. This optional extra included lunch (simple rice and vegetables) and a stop off at a little village that specialises in wood carving. It was nice to be able to just sit back and watch the goings on along the river.
The next morning we caught a bus from Hoi An up to Hue. Ryan very nearly got left behind at this point as Al, his roommate, had been unable to wake him, but in the end we all made it onto the bus. Halfway up to Hue we stopped for a picture opportunity as we were passing through some mountains. It was a beautiful spot with magnificent views and, as pointed out by some of the boys, was one of the places that the Top Gear guys went to on their Vietnam trip.
Shortly after arriving in Hue we all headed off on an escorted motorbike tour of the surrounding area. Our first stop was for lunch at a Buddhist nunnery where the “Mother” (not sure of correct term) practically force fed us if she saw we weren’t eating, but it was a very nice, purely vegetarian meal. This was followed with visits to significant religious and historical sites and to a small village that specialises in making incense and traditional cone hats.
The next day I chose to have a quiet, relaxing day before we had to head for our final, and longest, sleeper train of the tour, which was probably the nicest of the three. Once on board we settled into our rooms and then got to keeping ourselves entertained. For myself, Rod, Tjitske and Al this again involved several rounds of Skip Bo.
By 4.45am the next morning (after 13hrs) we were off the train and onto a bus for the 3½hr drive to Ha Long Bay. We were booked in to do a bay cruise that afternoon, so after a short rest at the hotel we headed down to the dock.
The cruise began with a lunch of fresh seafood dishes as we sailed towards the towering island formations. Then continued meandering through the bay, where we saw floating houses/fish farms, making our way to and
Motorbike tourMotorbike tourMotorbike tour

With my driver.
island that was formed with huge caves hidden within.
Unfortunately, just before we had left the hotel for the cruise the power had gone off in half the city. We had hoped it would be back by the time we got back, but we were to be disappointed. This made for a very uncomfortable evening. Thankfully it was back on by the time we headed to bed, so we were able to sleep, since the air conditioning could finally be turned back on.
By 8am the following morning we were all up and breakfasted and ready for the bus back to Hanoi. Once there Rod took us to get our bearings around Hoan Kiem Lake and the main backpacker and bar area. From there we headed off to find somewhere to have lunch. Little Hanoi, recommended by Lonely Planet, was our choice and it was very nice.
After lunch a bunch of us headed for a little wander. Along our way we stopped for ice cream at Fanny. This is a must if you come to Hanoi and you like deserts. The ice creams are amazing and delicious.
Being Tjitske’s birthday, dinner was finished that night with a surprise birthday
Lunch at the nunneryLunch at the nunneryLunch at the nunnery

This was all for two people.
cake. Then we all headed to a nearby bar where we got very drunk and had lots of fun. Rod is hilarious to watch dancing when he is drunk as he pulls out all sorts of dance moves.
The next day most of us went on a walking tour around the Old Quarter, with the aid of the Lonely Planet. Most of the tour was not that impressive as quite a few things were closed or blocked off or we just couldn’t find them. However we were all impressed by a house that only had a tiny door visible from the street, but once entered the house and went upstairs we beheld a room that had been transformed into a full, working temple.
We split up then to do our own things for the afternoon. So I headed off to book myself in to a hostel for the rest of my stay in Hanoi, after the group had left for Laos. At 6am the next morning I was waving them goodbye.
The hostel, Drift Backpackers, is nice, clean and laid back. I spent a fair amount of my last four days hanging out in the common room reading up on Thailand to get ideas or watching movies with the other temporary residents.
I did, however, spend a day walking around in the sweltering heat to see the One-Pillar Pagoda and Ho Chi Minh’s presidential palace and stilt house. Unfortunately I was unable to see the man himself as he is currently in Russia, for a facelift or reunion with other powerful wartime leaders. There were a few jokes going around as to the reason for the body being in Russia.
I had also intended to go for lunch at Koto, a restaurant for the aid of disadvantaged youths, but they were fully booked. So the next day I went to lunch at a similar restaurant just around the corner from the hostel. It is attached to a hospitality school that teaches disadvantaged youths how to work in the industry. It gives them opportunities that would otherwise be out of their reach, and they were all so happy to be there.
I also headed out to see the Museum of Vietnamese Women, but for the life of me, I couldn’t find it. And being that very, very few people in Vietnam speak any English at all, they couldn’t help either. This was disappointing as it was probably the thing I would most like to have seen in Hanoi.
I did, however, come across a group doing Latin Ballroom dancing near the lake one night, but I was too scared to join in at first and by the time I got the courage up to do so they started playing music for dances that I don’t know. So I just watched.
So that just about sums up my tour of Vietnam.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th October 2010

Auspicious
Oh look at you ! Not so keen on the tunnels but look at the temples and the food ! MMM

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb