Vietnam- the land of Coffee, Clothes and Canyoning!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
May 13th 2009
Published: May 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Still loving the french influence in Vietnam as it means there are pastrys and coffee for breakfast- strong rich thick black coffee, with a shot of evaporated milk in the bottom- the perfect mix of sweet and sharp! mmmnnnnnnnn, any way- enough of the coffee fantasy!

Ho Chi Minh- learnt in Cambodia that he is actually a person- not a place, the place is the former Saigon! nice to know how ignorant i was before i came here!! In HCMC we get up and massively on the tourist/ sight seeing activities- i have come to learn with travelling that although i love the history and sights of the big cities, you tend to spend to much and enjoy yourself less that wen you are out and about! We go to see the Reunification Palace- where the tanks crashed through the front gates to mark the end of the war (1966) and the War Remnants Museum, now this was interesting, but the force of communism is strong and the displays presented from a slightly one sided point of view maybe???........ however, if i was American i would try to be slightly less loud and American than those I followed round that Museum ""Aw, Gee, Its a tank- i think is one of our boys"" - Appropriate????

Street food is not that good in HCMC- massive dissapoointment compared to the rest of Asia, so had a pretty average dinner and then went for drinks in a Bar, and met 3 girls- Niki, Leanne and Frankie- who had all been working together in an Orphange in Phnompenh.

Travelling to Dalat the next day it is about time that we learnt that the times give for bus journeys are indicative only- almost fictional- what the company knows you want to hear, rather than any realistic expectaiton of how long it actually may take!!! so 5 hour journey turns in to 8.5!!! fun!!!

Dalat is beautiful, but cold, as we are up in the mountains. The whole look of the place is really european and i feel like we have stepped out of Asia in to a little french town full of Patisseris and Coffee Shops!
Before i came to Vietnam i was really excited by the idea of Vietnamise food- and yet since i had been in the counrty 3 days and had nothing nice yet i was not happy, however I finally found good food in Dalat, cheap as the rest of asia, we had a beautiful meal of pinapple sweet ribs, fresh spring roll, rice glass noodles and chicken clay pot- traditional fresh and yummy- i want to be able to cook like this!

Canyoning in Dalat: So much fun!

you get to go down





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb