Resorts are ubiqitous - getting there is always hell


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast
October 10th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Gorgeous resort called Saigon Mui Ne, some 200k north of Saigon on glorious beach with evrything a 4/5 star resort would have. Spent the morning strolling though local shops, or more like a fixed market. Big straw hats, cotton tops and beer were purchased before we settled down by the pool. The pundits are right; Vietnam is cheap shopping!

It is aso infested with the ubiquitous Hon Da - (Honda 100cc motor bike) with seemingly one bike per two of the population. We've al seen the pictures of families and biazzare loads on such bikes; they are true.

Our flght from Cambodia was mysteriously changed to a later time, so yesterday became never ending. We left our hotel at 10am to supposedly ensure we were in the front of the queue for a normally overbooked flight. Hmn. Flight not called for hours and then was not full. We arrived at Saigon Airport, and then endured an unbelievably uncomfortable SIX HOUR drive in a van designed for midgets or leg amputees. Not only were our knees around our ears or spread at acute angles, the seats were all adjusted so the backs tilted towards the rear, probably to disguise the
Tockers tackle teaTockers tackle teaTockers tackle tea

Snack time after 6 hour road journey covering 200 k without apparently anyone dying
lack of legroom.

Then, we have to mention the driver. John pointed out he had a 100m view, and he drove to that, lurch lurch lurch. All the time he stayed in top gear - more lurch, strain and whine. I started whining too.

What is 'Great Village Holidays' doing by subjecting their clients to this? It might not be so bad if we knew we were heading onward from here, but no - there is an unavoidable return journey in the same van, same driver on the same road. Talk about itinerary idiocy!!

So you might say say - shutup Norrey - you are at a glorious resort,yummy food, swimming pool, luxury semi outdoor shower in gorgeous bathroom and so on But a resort is a resort - all much the same. Beach, pool, restaurants, nice people to clean and dolly up cute cottage amongst the coconut palms and sculptured grounds - we could be in the Pacific, Aussie or indeed just about anywhere that is sunny. We can get to Fiji or New Caledonia more quickly and certainly in more comfort!

We'll certainly suggest a change to the standard itinerary.

That all said, it is very hot and sunny, lots of boutiques with summer branded clothing, cheap beer and no wind. Very nice.

No pix today - you know what a resort looks like don't you?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb