Wanderings in Vietnam - 1 - Ho Chi Minh City


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 31st 2014
Published: February 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Accommodation - Liberty Central Hotel

Weather - Hot, sunny & blue skies - 30c



'Chuc Mung Nam Moi' - Happy New Year in Vietnamese. What a day to arrive in Ho Chi Minh City - Saigon - the Vietnamese New Year's Eve (Tet). The city is in full 'Tet' celebrations. Having arrived at our hotel at 20.00hrs we head out at 21.30hrs, jet-lag keeping us awake, to join in with the fun. Within walking distance of our hotel the streets are ablaze with festive lights hanging across the streets, in the trees, on buildings and there are vast crowds of locals all arriving on an almost never ending stream of motorcycles from every direction. 2014 is the Vietnamese Year of the Horse - which explains why there are so many images and statues of horses!! We head for Nguyen Hue - the flower street and the centre of the celebrations. There are extensive floral displays down the whole length of the street, predominantly in reds, yellows and orange colours. The street is also thronged with mainly local families, teenagers and young people with only occasional tourists resulting in an exotic atmosphere. The celebrations are concluded with a spectacular firework display over the Saigon River and every one heads for home after 20 minutes of pyrotechnics.



A city tour shows us the highlights of old Saigon. The Reunification Palace was the former home of the President of South Vietnam and his war offices during the Vietnam War. A somewhat austere and sparsely furnished building. The Notre Dame Cathedral and nearby Central Post Office showed French influences as they were both constructed during the 19th Century when Vietnam was under French rule as part of Indochina - both very impressive buildings and certainly not the usual style for a post office! Next the War Remnants Museum - an excellent educational representation of the whole events surrounding the Vietnam War. US planes, helicopters, tanks, guns together with harrowing photos and descriptions of the atrocities - a thought provoking sad place. Finally the oldest Buddhist Pagoda and Temple in Saigon - packed with worshippers, incense and chantings.



We have also enjoyed a free day taking things easy - as we are still recovering from the 7 hour time difference! - wandering round the shops, down to the Saigon River and trying out Vietnamese food - noodles, rice, spring rolls, chilies, lemongrass and soups with floating vegetation!! - most of which is very tasty.

As Del boy said "Next year we are going to be millionaires" - if he had come to Vietnam he could have been a millionaire immediately - yes the exchange rate just now makes us millionaires many times over - £100 is approximately 3 million Vietnamese Dong - and a very good feeling it is!! Dongs go a very long way - food, drinks and taxis are incredibly good value.

Scroll right down to the end to see more photographs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



1st February 2014

Great pics!
Very impressive start to your latest adventure. The photos are fantastic! You will be enjoying the street food , unlike India . Hope you get over the jet lag soon, and enjoy the warmth. It is wet and cold here! Xxx
1st February 2014
WanderingPeter enjoying a Vietnamese meal

Wandering Vietnam
Enjoyed your script, very good and very interesting. Super photographs and the meal looked good. Many thanks

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb