Cyclos, War Crimes and DIY Spring Rolls


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
June 18th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

"I'm going to die in a half arsed attempt to weld a shopping trolley to a pushbike" was all I could think as the cyclo drove head on into the morning rush hour traffic. We were going the wrong way down a one way street through the busy Saigon streets, and my driver didnt seem to care. After a while though, the fear subsides and you realize that this is the way that things should be seen. Walking is too slow, too much like hard work. And motorcycles are too fast, not at all relaxing. Yes, cyclos are for me...

The War Remnants Museum
Formerly the 'Museum of Chinese and American War Crimes' this a suprisingly balanced museum detailing the Viet Nam war and its effects. There is a few fantastic photographic exhibitions, a small collection of arms and armour, a childrens art exhibtion and a disturbing exhibition of the effect of the war on the Vietnamese civilians. Emphasis is placed on the massive civilian casualities, and some photos show some horrific incidents of US friendly fire. Thankfully the US military has learnt its lessons from 'Nam, and friendly fire casualties and slaughter of the innocent population are now things of the past.

One of the most disturbing exhibitions is one on Agent Orange, a herbicide dropped on the forests of Vietnam to help destroy VC cover. It is also incredibly toxic, and has lead to a generation of disfigured and disabled children. One grizzly exhibit shows three infant foetuses in jars, their distorted features making them appear more alien like than human. And no responsibility has been taken.

I also stopped at a number of other attractions, not really worth a mention but all interesting and enjoyable:


Uncle Hos World
I've never spentmuch time in communist countries, but Vietnam is not what I expected. Everyone seems more entrepreneurial than I expected... and not really that oppressed. This is where the cyclo driver provided a great insight. "In the early days the temple had no power. No it has power, and we are free to visit it - but we must not discuss politics. Before there was war and suffering. And now we have peace, but not freedom. That is the lesser of two evils". Ok,its paraphrased, but you get the idea!

DIY Spring Rolls
In the evening I went out with Mi (the tour guide from Mekong) and had a DIY Spring Roll dinner. Pretty much like a fajita, but with a rice paper wrap, noodles and salad to feel and the meat being cooked piece by piece on a crude tabletop BBQ. Fresh as it gets!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb