Kindergarten in the Sky!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 29th 2012
Published: February 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Saigon mid afternoon on Tuesday after our first class flight. We were travelling with Air Asia, a low cost carrier similar to Ryan Air. The difference is that they are much more relaxed about the rules.

When we checked in we omitted to ask for seats together. Didn’t think it was necessary as we were early for checking in. When we looked later Stan was on seat 9F and I was on 23F. Not too big a deal as we’re seasoned travellers.

While we waited at the gate to board I noticed an official at a computer but not really doing anything (a common occurrence in Asia) I showed him our seat numbers and asked if there was any chance they could be changed, not really expecting to get anywhere. He looked and his eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw how far apart we were. I decided to appeal to his good nature and said “how can we hold hands when we’re so far apart. He laughed and said “Wait a moment” Punched a few keys then scrubbed out our seat numbers and wrote on 5A and 5B.

Now I know that the first 5 rows on Air Asia flights are usually first class so this was looking good.

Sure enough we were in first class, however as the plane loaded up we soon realised most of the other first class seats were taken up with mothers and screaming babies and young children. I’m quite sure they didn’t all pay first class, I think the airline upgraded them so they would have more space. Nice of the airline and I can’t ever see Ryan Air doing anything like that. It was funny really because the mums with the loudest screaming babies looked at us and were probably thinking poor us paying to travel first class and having to put up with the row! We were quite happy and soon into the flight they mostly settled down and slept.

Being at the front of the plane when we landed, we were off first, through customs, collected our bags, found an ATM and were on the bus to town within 15 minutes! A record.

The roads were chaotic, motorbikes everywhere. We began to wonder how on earth we would know when to get off. A friendly English speaking local asked us if we needed help when he saw the guide book. We showed him our chosen street where all the budget accommodation is and he said he would tell us when to get off.

He called to us a while later and we jumped off, it was right in the middle of the evening rush hour and we were totally bewildered. As we stood looking around we saw a couple of Europeans taking photos of the traffic so asked them for directions. They pointed us in the right direction we were just a street away from where it's all happening.

As we walked along with our backpacks on we were like magnets to the touts, we realized in minutes we would have no problem finding a room for the night. We looked at several before making a decision.

We have settled in one with a balcony overlooking the street that's crammed with bars cafes and all other manner of selling activities, people pushing carts, carrying huge baskets of fruit, jewelery, sunglasses etc. You mention it, they're selling it. All this with a continuous line of motorbikes beeping away. Crazy! Normally this would have driven me crazy but as we knew what to expect you somehow take it in your stride and soak up the atmosphere instead.

Our room is airy with a patio door onto the balcony, choice of air-con or ceiling fan, fridge, hot water shower, free wi fi and a spare bed so we can unpack and spread our stuff around. This a real luxury now and again when you've been living out of a bag for weeks!

The temperature here is a pleasant 28 degrees instead of the sweltering 38 degrees in Malaysia.

We were soon off out for an evening meal before sampling the local draught beer hoy for 6,000 dong a glass (20p).

We got talking to two German guys who had arrived the day before, they told us how their taxi driver had ripped them off from the sirport. We told them we'd paid 4,000 dong (12p each) to come by public bus. They were devestated, they had paid 185,000 dong (about £5.50).

Tomorrow we are off to the Cu Chi Tunnels so need to be up ready to leave at 8am. No beer Hoy tonight!!



Sorry no photos yet the wi fi signal here is too weak to load them on. We'll maybe try an internet cafe in a few days.

Advertisement



29th February 2012

Plane trip
Only you two could land first class seats like that!!!! Following your journey with envy! especially with the weather we have been having ,,,mostly cold and wet!! Have a great time.
1st March 2012

You Know us!
Thanks for reading the blogs, nice to know all the hard work's not in vain.

Tot: 0.49s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.2377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb