Ho Chi Minh City (3-6 January)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
January 6th 2010
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

AnneliesAnneliesAnnelies

Looking sombre after our visit to the War Remnants Museum
We cleared customs in Darwin without any dramas and hopped on the 5-hour Jetstar flight to Ho Chi Ming City (Saigon), arriving around 9:30 pm. We had a booking for 4 nights at the An An hotel in District 1 and so were centrally located. The 'family room' was really just a 'deluxe' room (queen and single beds) with an extra single mattress on the floor.

On our first day there, we decided to see some of the sights of Ho Chi Minh, including getting ripped off by a taxi driver on the way to the War Remnants Museum (which was an eye opener for Annelies and Thomas), visited the Notre Dame Cathedral and Post Office, went for a ride on a cyclo (ripped off again!), and dodged the traffic on our walk back to the hotel. On another day we walked along the river and visited Vietnam-Quilts where we purchased a hand made quilt for Annelies. Annelies chose the colours as it still had to be made and then sent back home. It was quite expensive but for a good cause and of high quality.

Most of the time we spent in Ho Chi Minh was spent shopping and sampling the local cusine. We generally ate Vietnamese food at street-side 'cafes' and restaurants, but also ate at Indian and Italian restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Tiger CagesTiger Cages
Tiger Cages

Used by South Vietnamese military to house Viet Cong prisoners
GuillotineGuillotine
Guillotine

Used by the French on Viet Minh 'troublemakers'
Motorbike trafficMotorbike traffic
Motorbike traffic

Who needs a truck - it's amazing what can be transported on a motorbike.
Ho Chi Minh trafficHo Chi Minh traffic
Ho Chi Minh traffic

Note power lines in background


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb