(I can't think of a title today)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
March 8th 2006
Published: March 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hmmm... Still can't really get into this place. The girls feel much the same, though Eva can't seem to get enough of the markets - yes, we did the markets AGAIN today, though different ones, and yes, we bought more. Shockin', as a true Aussie would say.

The area where we are staying, D Pham Ngu Lao, is tourist central, and it seems that the Saigonese hanging around these quarters are very 'spoilt' by the Vietnamese tourist boom. I have gotten everything from wolf-whistles to 'Moto, madame?', 'No, thanks', 'Marijuana, madame?'. Last night, we had dinner in close to the guesthouse, though nothing really grabbed us, probably mainly due to the seedy-looking middle-aged single white men lingering everywhere. We ended up at an Indian restaurant down an alleyway. The food was ok, the service was American-style and the group of African-Americans at the table next to us looked like they were having an ANC meeting. Funny vibe would be the best way to put it.

After dinner, we tried to buy some books (all of which are fake, ie. bound photocopies in the same format as the original), especially some more Lonely Planets on China, Laos, Myanmar, etc. We had wanted to buy them from the street sellers in Phnom Penh, but had decided that it would be too annoying (and heavy) to have to lug them around through Vietnam. This turned out to be a big mistake, as the street vendors here are really not in need of cash, and if you try to bargain them down at all, they just take the book off you and mumble some angry Vietnamese. Unlike in Phnom Penh, where you could justify buy fake books as they were really helping those who needed the money, here it is a different story, and I decided against buying any books at all in boycott of the corruption this supports - mind you, the same theory hasn't stopped us buying fake Gucci purses, bags, DVD's, CD's, blah blah blah.

The highlight of the day was returning to the little market stall we had found for dinner, where the same smiling lady greeted us and ushered us to some little stools. We chose the same yellow noodle and BBQ pork soup we had devoured yesterday, the first really tasty Vietnamese food we had found during our entire trip. A little disappointing, as the Vietnamese cuisine, which you get in Melbourne, is so so so good.

Another thing that has surprised all three of us is the extreme lack of English language skills that the average Vietnamese person possesses. Most of them speak significantly less English than the Khmer, with some speaking as little as 'Hello'. Given that this place is more developed and much more educated, we found this astounding (and at times frustrating when they just shake their heads at you with a stern look upon their faces).

Hmmm... I really should try to see the good things prevalent in Saigon, for I am sure they are everywhere. And I guess my negative vibe about the place probably propells the same thing out to the people I met, so I shouldn't really expect much else. I will try to enjoy it more...

Anyway, our attempt at going out last night to have some drinks failed miserably, so we are going to give it a second shot tonight.

I will report back asap.

x Maz

Advertisement



8th March 2006

Brian cancelled so I have some time left. The lack of English lang. skills might be due to a communist government not really encouraging to learn it at school compulsary, since the West is the enemy and the embodyment of capitalism.Don't know. You are spoilt by the Cambodian people, it' like drinking a fantastic wine, followed by a very good one which then seems quite miserable compared. Maybe avoid bigger centres on the way up the coast, any chance of travelling a little more to thewest, "going up",since the country is that narrow, would there be any other roads but right along the coast, that is the question. Enjoy what you can, be positive, and leave the area asap if you don't like it, it can hopefully only improve. What is an ANC meeting, Marie? Love you, miss you, and 1000000000000 kisses, say hi to Heylena! mum Any decisions reg. the Canb. hs.?

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb