Good Morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 11th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, it was an awful long wait at Siem Reap airport, even if it was business class lounge! (We were the only ones in the lounge!). Forgot to tell you about a incident that happened on our last day in Siem Reap so very quickly before we get onto Vietnam I'll quickly tell you about it. During lunch on our last day, a young girl probably about 10yrs tried her best to sell us some bracelets, but we didnt want them and she got talking to kyle. Before we know it there are about 10 girls ranging in age from 10 -15 chatting to kyle. Not sure he understood what they saying, but he was having fun. Phil and Len decided to find Mr Ratha and go for a ride around Siem Reap with him taking photos. Mum and I wanted another massage and I thought Kyle had plans on going back to the hotel maybe for a swim.

After a very relaxing massage we come out to the street to find Kyle sitting on a stool, surrounded by about 15 girls all eating ice cream in a cup. Kyle decided if he was to buy them a ice cream they'd stop hasseling him to buy a bracelet! He could have bought a bread icecream for 2000r, but was unsure how far his money would go as these girls kept coming out of the woodwork so chose the cup ice cream for 500r (12cents!). It had creamy rice on the bottom, a scoop of vanilla, a scoop of chocolate, some sauce thing on top with nuts. I asked if he had one...got to be joking, it had rice on the bottom!!! He said he'd had a great hour chatting to them.

Arrived into Saigon only 4hrs late. Janine and her family were there with Sam and Issy still in the arrival hall waiting on VOA, took nearly 45min to get. Walked out the doors of the arrival hall to two drivers waiting patiently for us. They then proceeded to squeeze us into a van and a camery! Lucky I guess we were late or we'd have to have squeezed the 5 of us into a camery again! This time instead of a 5 min drive its a hour.

Had a minor accident on the way to the hotel, a motorbike ran into us! Lastyear, we never even saw a accident, let alone it actually happening to us! Our driver was far from impressed!

Staying at the Blue River Hotel in district 1, its down a quiet alley, and is very budget, but clean and the lady Thuy who runs it is very nice and do her hardest to make our stay enjoyable.

Finally got our rooms sorted, the hotel is a little like a maze and stairs and more stairs! After going up and down stairs I was hot sweaty and not terribly impressed at the beginning of our stay. Finally got everyone sorted and we went out for drinks and spring rolls. Made our way to Ben Thanh Market area, quick look through markets, before kids and us had enough...very steamy and humid tonight. Feels like rain, but didnt.

Had tea at a lovely local restaurant that didnt have a english menu, so had to get meals recommended from the owner. Most very nice, but a couple where a little strange. Wanting something similar to morning glory/water spinach and ended up with a plate of boiled beans! Unfortunately food was a little light on and I can't say everyone left full (but was the cheapest meal of our stay!)

So, will continue later on the next few days...........



Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb