RTW Day 60 - Cu Chi Tunnels


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
April 16th 2018
Published: April 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The old man has booked a ‘luxury’ tour to the Cu Chi tunnels, part of a huge complex built by the Viet Cong. He can’t say what the difference is with the regular tour (booked by daughter no 1) but it costs 4 times the price. I look forward to comparing notes later.

The drive to the tunnels takes 3 hours mostly through the sprawling suburbs of HCMC. After 2 hours we stop at a government workshop where we are shown victims of Agent Orange making things to sell to tourists.

We continue to the tunnel location and spend 2 hours in the sweltering jungle while our guide tells all about the tunnels; how they were built, how the Viet Cong lived and fought, how cunning and clever they were. It’s very interesting and rather ironic seeing as his father fought on the other side.

There is an option to go underground in a tunnel specially adapted for tourists (because most westerners are too fat for the original tunnels). After the opportunity to shoot an AK47 for £2 per bullet, we depart in our thankfully air conditioned bus where we have to watch a cringe worthy propaganda video on the return journey.

Our half day tour has taken almost 8 hours and we arrive back tired and hungry. By the time we have lunch and pack for an early departure, it is time for dinner. Our last meal in HCMC before we leave for Hanoi in the morning.









Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb