Relaxing at the Rex, Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » District 1
April 10th 2013
Published: April 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 - Today we caught the flight from Danang to Ho Chi Minh City. It was an afternoon flight so unfortunately we didn't arrive until later afternoon. Just time for a quick dip in the small rooftop pool before dinner and then a tour of some of the rooftop bars of Saigon. Our hotel was in an excellent location right in the heart of District One so in striking distance of Sheraton, Caravelle and Rex. There were great views over Saigon and I enjoyed working my way through the cocktail menu. It had to be a Good Morning Vietnam and Saigon, Saigon on the 9th floor at the Caravelle followed by a Cosmopolitan at the Sheraton and a boogie on the dance floor :-) A lovely way to spend an evening, just a shame we have to be up at 6am!

Day 11 - an early start for the drive to the Cu Chi tunnels. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect and didn't know if I would be brave enough to actually go down inside a tunnel. I was surpised by how big the site was and how very well organised the outdoor museum is. We watched a dvd about the Viet Cong heros who skilled American soldiers during the war and saw some of the horrid traps used to try and combat the sheer manpower and machine power of the American's. The tunnels were built over several years dating back to the 1940's and contained schools, hospitals, sleeping quarters, weapon stores and kitchens. They were so well devised that the chimney for the kitchens was built a distance away from the tunnel itself and that the smoke was able to disperse across an area so it would be hard to spot from enemy planes. The tunnels have been widened to allow the larger tourists to go down so I was brave enough to try the 80 metres we were allowed to go into. It was horrid. Dark, not much air and to imagine people lived down there for years only coming up to the surface at night to use the toilet. I would struggle to survive.

After a few hours at the museum we headed back to Saigon to try the famous Pho noodles and ate in a restaurant where Bill Clinton had been a previous diner. This was followed by a visit to the War Remnants museum (a horrifying and upsetting place but must see to understand the effects of war), the Reunification palace, Notre Dame Cathedral (where I lit a candle for my Mum) and the post office. In the evening 9 of us went for a Mediterrean meal before heading to the 5 star Rex hotel. Great views but extortionate prices and a rather disappointing band!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.389s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.2168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb