Day 7 - Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today started super early, as it was I barely slept but we were up and ready by 4:45am for our photo tour. Atian was the name of our photographer, he's French but lives in Hoi An with his wife and child. We picked up a few others from other hotels on our way to catch our boat.

We hopped onto another boat while we waited for ours to come across so Atian could explain to everyone about using the apature setting on the camera both for SLRs and point-n-shoots. He taught everyone about aperture, ISOs and shutter speeds. Then he went round to each individual person to make sure everyone knew how to use the settings on their brand and style of camera. When he was just finishing the last camera the boat came in so we jumped on and he explained a couple more things as we made our way across the river and the sun was the poking its head up.

We got some really nice shots but the best was yet to come at the fish markets. <br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />Atian told us it was ok for us to get up close the these people as he is there all the time and they know him and they are fine with it as long as we dont get in their way of working.

So we did. It was almost awkward but I got some amazing portrait shots of these people. The kids and the older people photograph best but all in all looking through my photos quickly there isn't many that I don't like. I made a deal with myself not to delete any until I get home and can go through them properly. After the markets the sun was well and truly up and it was a scorcher of a day, the hottest since we've been here. We made our way round to a seating courtyard where were had pork rolls and drinks that were included in our ticket price for the tour. After we made out way through some little back streets to a little place where they make fish sauce.

Well, I don't think I'll eat genuine Vietnamese fish sauce again after this. As a treat I'll explain briefly how this process works for those who don't know.

They put all these little raw fish, mix it with salt and water and arrange it in wooden boxes to ferment, then they are slowly pressed, yielding the salty, fishy liquid. That's all okay until he showed us that it's broken down quicker and more effectively by letting flys lay maggots in it!! Yup, enjoy your next round of fish sauce! <br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />Blahhhh.

After this we wandered through the back streets trying to capture some cool shots then made our way back round to where the last of the boats were coming in. We stayed there a little longer before made our way back to our boat to cross the river again.

We had bikes waiting for us on the other side so jumped on those to ride around there abit and eventually made it back to a gallery not too far from the hotel where we had a well deserved drink and paid our $25 for our tour; so cheap!

We then walked back to the hotel and rented a bike for 20,000VND ($1) for the day.<br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />Five of us jumped on them and made our way out to the back beach, not the tourist beach. Atian had told us it was nicer, quieter and no one there to hassle you selling things. So we went there. It was about 4 or so kms out there but the sun was beaming down and it was hotttt!

We made it and he was right, the beach was stunning! We got chairs with umbrellas for only $1 each and bolted for the water. The water was jus perfect! So clear and blue and not too hot or too cold, just perfect! We went from the chairs to the water several times before three of the girls decided to head back so Carly and I hung aroud about 45mins longer just to make the most of it. We got back to the hotel, changed, I returned my bike because I'd decided against the bicycle tour in the afternoon because it was just too hot. <br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />So Carly dinked me on the back of her bike across the bridge to town where we stopped at a cafe called Blac Pepper. I had an egg noodle dish with chicken and vegetables, it was tasty. <br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />Next we walked from there back to the tailors for our first fitting. Two of my three dresses were ready to try on and they were stunning, loved them and they only needed some slight alterations in the length and the straps. The other one wasn't ready yet so I'd have to come back at about 5:30pm when Carly had to come back for her next fitting anyway. So she left on her bike to meet the bike tour and I walked back to the hotel. Got back there, changed into my swimmers and jumped straight in the pool. After the walk back and the sunburn I'd gained in the morning fromthe bike ride it was like heaven. I stayed in there for maybe and hour and a half before I had my shower and chilled in the air-con for a bit before Carly got back and we made our way walking back into the tailors.

I tried on my third dress and again it was almost perfect, just a couple of tweaks so they said they would finish them and deliver them to out hotel in the night. They ended up costing me only $300 for the three, very cheap considering the material I'd picked and that they were full length gowns, one with long sleeves aswell.

Happy, we made our way back to the hotel to meet up with some of the girls for dinner. <br style="line-height: 19px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;" />We jumped in cabs and made our way out to the tourist beach to the restaurant area. We found a family owned and run one where they had a large range of cuisines. I got hawaiian pizza, just needed something simple. We had dinner and a couple of drinks then cabbed it back to the hotel to pack up our stuff for our 8:00am drive to Hue in the morning.

Advertisement



28th July 2012

Accommodation in Hoi An?
Hello over there! I was wondering if you can recommend any good place to stay in Hoi An? We are looking for a small traditional place, preferably, nothing fancy. Would be great to get some advice! Hanka

Tot: 0.559s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb