Phuoc An Hoi An


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
May 28th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Trawling through the Lonely Planet book I announced in my best Irish accent that I had found a "Phuoc An Hotel". With a name like this there was no question where we were going to stay in Hoi An. It turned out to be a Phuoc An good one too.

Tired after our sleeper bus from Nha Trang the hotel was the perfect remedy. The room had air con, opened onto a swimming pool and included buffet breakfast, bicycle rental and wifi for $15.

Another feather in the Phuoc An bow (sorry I'll stop soon) was that it was next door to 'Cafe 43' where our love affair for vietnamese cooking began. Not only did the friendly family serve delicious southern Vietnamese food but also a stronger Bia Hoi than we had previously experienced for 3000 Dong (11p) a glass. Understandably this was our restaurant of choice in the days we were there.

A short walk from the backstreets around our hotel was Hoi An's old town. The Unesco World Heritage site is a maze of cobbled streets and century old buildings that are architecturally pleasing and charmingly rememiscent of a quaint French village. The old town's World Heritage status may have ensured it's survival with the protection of buildings but it has also bought an influx of tourists with it. The picture postcard buildings that used to be lived in by locals have now, mostly, been converted to art galleries and tailors. However, despite the tour groups and tailor made hawkers the town retains it's charm. At night the gently flowing river beside the town is alive with people and Chinese lanterns light the cobbled streets, just as the tour groups leave.

The next day we made use of our free bicycle hire and pedalled out to Cam Kim Island. Although only a five minute ferry ride from the old town, Cam Kim could not be more different. There were no tourists, just locals working their land, as we cycled through the scorching hot day. It was a great way to see the countryside and local life without being too intrusive. On the journey back the ticket man tried to charge us treble the fare of the locals...who did he take us for, a tourist?

We finished our stay in Hoi An with plenty of Bia Hoi's at 'Cafe 43' before we took the bus up to Hue the next morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Beautiful Old Houses of Hoi AnBeautiful Old Houses of Hoi An
Beautiful Old Houses of Hoi An

old beauty against the ugly new power lines
bike and motorbikesbike and motorbikes
bike and motorbikes

the only transport allowed inside the old town
The lovely bedroomThe lovely bedroom
The lovely bedroom

accomodation may be more expensive here, but you certainly get more for your money!


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb