Some stuff i forgot


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In all my haste to relate my hospital times to you, i forgot to tell you about our trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels near Ho Chi Minh. I have also now added even more pictures to my Ho Chi Minh blog hope you enjoy!
These were the tunnels that the Viet Cong used to hide, and make war upon the 'American Agressor'. Kev (being a fan of vietnam war fims and interested in the war itself) was really looking forward to this trip - especially because you could fire an M 16 and the end of it. woop woop. We set off and had the most amusing vietnamese man as our guide, who, interestingly was a child of an ex republic soldier (on the american's side) and therefore he didnt necessarily have the 'american's are the enemy' attitude.
When we got there we saw a video about how the tunnels were used almost instantly being told 'this is a girl who was a hero american killer' and that pretty much set the scene for the rest of the film. We then looked round the site seeing the fox hole - a small hole which the VietCong could spring out of to attack passing troups or generally make a nuisance of themselves. The we saw a spider hole - basically the entrance to the extensive multi layered network of tunnels in the area. After this we proceeded to the firing range and it was about a pound per bullet in the M16 but you had to buy at least 10, so i declined, pacifist and general tight arse that i am. Next we proceeded to the international tunnel (basically one made bigger for us big westerners). We had to crawl along the tunnel for 100m and were all glad when we came out the other side. There was even lighting in it (which there wouldn't have been during the war) but it was still a bit of a sketchy experience.
All in all it was a pretty interesting and informative visit, Kev absolutely loved it, and i thought it was a good trip. The guide did make it all the better tho. Always talking about 'this honey' or 'that sugar' - aka his women. funny times.


Now its over a week later and as i was yesterday, i'm still in Hoi An, i've been for a wander round and taken some pictures of the building in the area. Not done much else except try on my purchases and banter with the locals who keep trying to sell me a nice vietnamese lady.
Hope you enjoy this pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0929s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb