Mot, Hai, Ba... Yoooo!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
April 1st 2005
Published: April 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Mot, Hai, Ba... Yooooo!Mot, Hai, Ba... Yooooo!Mot, Hai, Ba... Yooooo!

Me (sorry about the sweat patch!) with Anh Ba
Drinking games aren't very complicated here in Vietnam. Everytime you want a drink, just hold up your glass and make everyone say Mot, Hai, Ba... Yoooo! (1, 2, 3... GO!!), but with the right crowd, you still get the desired result. An added benefit is you learn to count. I proudly announce that I can count to 3 in vietnamese!

I've continued travelling with the Police group from Sydney, firstly to the central coast town of Tuy Hoa, famous for being the home town of my good friend and tour guide Luc Nguyen. Luc left Tuy Hoa as a boat person in 1979, and went on to become Australia's first Vietnamese cop. Now a detective, he was proud as punch bringing his Police mates back to his parents house for a party, but I think they were a little taken aback when 20 or so people joined the 20 family members (Luc's one of 10 children) in their 2 bedroom house. Not that you'd know as his dad (who looks exactly like Luc in 30 years) walked around smiling from ear to ear with a "Craven A" cigarette dangling from his lips at all times.

The most interesting character
Luc (right) and familyLuc (right) and familyLuc (right) and family

Anh Ba had been sent home by this time.
was Luc's older brother Loc, "Anh Ba" (brother number 3) to his friends, and the family's only drinker. We taught him a few Aussie beer songs (he's a bastard so they say...), maybe a few too many as an argument later ensued in which the only words we could make out were "beer" and "too much". Luc later assured us they were just chatting, and I'm inclined to believe him: the vietnamese always sound like they are in a fightin' mood when they talk! In true "beer talking" style, Anh Ba promised to take us exercising on the beach at 5am the next day, but when a group of us did show up bleary-eye and hungover, Anh Ba was nowhere to be found, probably pressing the snooze button a few more times and chuckling himself back to sleep!

From Tuy Hoa we travelled south to Nha Trang, via a beach or two, for a few days of sun, surf, and of course our old friends 333 and Saigon bia. Nha Trang is the Gold Coast of Vietnam and very touristy, but the locals are sincere enough... about accessing the contents of your wallet that is. Even the beach vendors
Some inquisitive kids with SeanSome inquisitive kids with SeanSome inquisitive kids with Sean

The wonders of digital cameras
selling cigarettes and dried squid have "happy hour" here (or so they say!). "Hello... You buy sometheeeng?... Happy Hour!" We had a good time swimming, and renting motorbikes and riding out to the villages, rice paddies (past the water buffalo), and waterfalls in Nha Trangs hinterland. There are also some spectacular 7th century ruins here, and hot-springs where you can soak and cake yourself in mineral mud and pretend to be big Arnie in Predator ("C'mon do it! Kill Me! What are you waiting for"), while the local old men check out the european backpacker girls getting down and dirty. The highlight was another party with Luc's family for his niece's 11th birthday, complete with Karaoke of course! Anh Ba was on his best behaviour this time unfortunately, despite our best efforts. I couldn't find a song both I and the keyboardist knew, so I lead the drunken Aussies in a rendition of "Khe Sanh" unaccompanied. Unfortunately the keyboard guys tried to join in with what sounded like "Scarborough Fair". It wasn't pretty. The vietnamese all left after that for some reason.

After the police continued north, my solo travels took me to the central highlands town of Da
Nha Trang hinterlandNha Trang hinterlandNha Trang hinterland

Luc burning up the countryside!
Lat, a picturesque, cool, hilly place at 1500 m altitude. A day trip with one of the legendary "Easy Riders" (local freelance motorcycle guides) was a great way to see the pine forests, mountains, minority villages and waterfalls around the area. On foot was not, especially after it poured with rain when I was a km or so from the hotel, although the entertainment value of a tall, fat, drenched white man running in the rain was probably better than TV for the local schoolkids.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Nha Trang BeachNha Trang Beach
Nha Trang Beach

... at sunset
Vegetable TerracesVegetable Terraces
Vegetable Terraces

Outside Da Lat
Hills, Lakes and Pine forestsHills, Lakes and Pine forests
Hills, Lakes and Pine forests

... in misty, rainy Da Lat


10th April 2005

No comments??!!!!
Thought I'd write something cause no-one else seems to have!! Were the police part of the drinking games?????!!!!! News update: I've taken up the drums. Yes, don't laugh like everyone else has been! Have a hot date on Tuesday nights with a 22y.o drummer called Will. I've decided it is a lot harder than it looks but is fun having a go. Practise, practise practise for me over the coming months. might be ready to stand in for Stu when you get back!!!!! Amie had her girl operation today so she will be very subdued and not talking to us this pm when I pick her up. Not much else happening at E.K. Take care and stay safe, Love Lee xxx - lee

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1106s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb