Day 10


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
December 14th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So it must be day 10 now (feels like a month already though). Spent yesterday at the beach, a private bar / club beach where hawkers had to yell their wears from beyond the 'No Hawking' signs lol. Kylie had her hand and toe nails manicured and painted and a foot massage which even though it cost about $15 she thinks she could have got it cheaper.

A local lady selling fresh lobsters, cooked on a tiny bbq-thing right in front of you, was yelling out to us and the temptation to have a whole, fresh lobster and 8 scallops all cooked with sauce and presented to you on your own tarp for 200,000 Dong ($12) was too good to pass up. Kids thought it was great too.

We literally swam, ate, drank, swam, got sun burnt (well Kylie did), made sand castles, and generally had a very lazy day. Last night we ate at a traditional Indian restaurant 'Omar's', which was great but we ordered way too much. Fred fell asleep at the table so we were home by 7:30pm. Lots of early nights with the kids, which is expected I guess, considering our full days. Desparately need to find another family for the kids to have a play and us to have drink.

Today we were moved to a new, larger room here at Sunrise and we feel like kings right now - our own spa on the balcony! We visited Vinpearl Island which was the strangest place, an amusement park, a water park, the worlds highest cable car to get there, and rubbish food all on one Island for one entry fee. There was barely anyone there and although we are in 'winter' here, I would have thought the temperature and humidity of the last few days would draw in the crowds. Anyway, it was good for us as there was never a line up to see / do / ride anything. Took Caitlin on a ride where they should have balanced the tube better, so we fell off. Terrifying, but we escaped with a cut to my elbow and an unhappy Boombie Girl. Took Fred on a water ride that was way too scary for him, but he's not scarred. Kylie took Lucy on the speed slide and it took alot of coaxing to get her up there (I believe there were even nervous tears at the top), but once they got on it was laughing all the way - Lucy even went again by herself.

I also went for a massive walk early this morning (5:00am) into the real town of Nha Trang. It exists about 3 blocks from the beach. I had a freshley brewed vietnamese coffee and tea for $4000 dong (20 cents) which I am pretty sure is almost as much as the locals pay. It was good and I watched the frenetic pace of early vietnam for nothing. Anyway, I stumbled into a huge pagoda with a gigantic Budha on top of a hill. I then meandered through what can only be described as a shanty town absolutely heaving with local people in various states of waking up. Clearly not to many roundeyes wander through that part of town because I got plenty of strange and friendly looks. It was all good.

Room service for dinner tonight I'm sorry to say (and much to Kylie's disappointment), but the kids were so tired Caitlin fell asleep in the cab and to be honest we didn't have the energy to deal with it tonight. Perhaps Kylie and I will take our complimentary wine and relax in the spa.

Kylie is in her element here with food and says you can't possibly go hungry in Vietnam. Every second shop is a food outlet, food stall on every corner, alleyways full of fantastic, cheap, local dishes, it's food everywhere all the time. Amazing baguettes, great pho, awesome noodles. Food, glorious food!

So tomorrow we might visit the Mud Baths or perhaps hire a boat and go island hopping. Kylie keen to get new lenses for her glasses as the kids have scratched them - has been quoted by the local optomistrist a huge $30 to get them replaced. Kylie also keen for shopping, but the kids only want one thing - to swim!

Just looking outside as there is LOTS of noise and beeping etc. It seems Vietnam have won the soccer again! They love it!

Anyway, off the to spa and the not so serene sounds of football victor's jearing.

PS Everyone but Kylie has diarhorrea and lets just say there has been some incidents. Its all bad....




Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Lucy on the piss.Lucy on the piss.
Lucy on the piss.

The beer is called "333" or when you ask for it its "ba ba ba". Presumably ba is 3.


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb