Partying and diving in Nha Trang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
November 12th 2006
Published: November 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After our time in Mui Ne, we arrived feeling fresh and rested in Nha Trang, another beach town further up the coast, but with a completely different feel. It has a small but busy town and is known for its 71 islands and party atmosphere.

So of course we had to try out the nightlife! Spent 2 nights partying it up at bars on the beach with some Norwegian and Swiss guys we met, sampling the famous alcohol-filled 'buckets' - they're as bad as they sound! It's a fun place, but there are loads of prostitutes, and we even got propositioned by a 10-year old boy wearing a Spiderman cap, which was somewhat disturbing!

Nha Trang is also famous for diving, and although it was off-season, Alex and I decided to spend half a day diving out at the islands, as Alex hadn't dived in ages. Did 2 dives which were ok - there wasn't much to see (although I think now I've been forever-spoilt by diving at Sipadan), but instead it was fun trying to spot some unusual sealife, so had a good time (despite only having had 2.5 hrs sleep the night before!).

Also went to see some ancient Cham temples, which have been a highly religious site since 800 AD, and also went to a pagoda with the biggest buddha I've ever seen sitting at the top of the hill, looking down over the town. Was all quite small, but decided since we'd spent all our time in Nha Trang drinking and sleeping, we'd better see some of the sights!

Got onto to overnight train, heading north for Hoi An. Had to go hungry on the train, as the only stalls at the train station were selling pickled frogs, baby crocodiles, snakes and baby turtles soaked in some yellow liquid in jars. No joke - so disgusting. But apart from that, have been eating very well in Vietnam so far, trying the local dishes in each region, which are all different, but pretty much centre around rice noodles which are very yum. However, in typical Ali-fashion I am still craving CHEESE. ohhhh cheese.






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

'Pho' - the national dish'Pho' - the national dish
'Pho' - the national dish

Noodle soup made with special rice noodles, to which you add fragrant herbs which make it taste really yummy!


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 102; dbt: 0.0875s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb