Da Nang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Da Nang
October 19th 2013
Published: October 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The train journey to Da Nang was grim, an experience that we are both blocking from our memories! It was also 4 hrs late but we have been reassured that this is the norm.

Da Nang was great, beautiful beach, beautiful skyline, lots of restaurants. We spent 2 days chilling out, swimming, building sand castles and wandering across lit up bridges.

Other than 2 friendly American guys who lived there with their Vietnamese wives, we were the only westerners that we saw. This was ace. Previously the poverty and standard of living had been a shocking eye opener, and Da Nang brought the same, but it also gave us the opportunity to watch the local culture and way of life. During the day everything was fairly quiet, then at night the whole city hit the streets! There were countless plastic chairs gathered together under cast iron roofs where people would eat, drink, chat, watch TV or sit and be quiet - like a huge living room on the pavement! But less comfortable and more sociable. 1000s parked their mopeds on the 3 bridges and gathered in groups there (mostly teenagers), little plastic cars were set up for kids to play, Rollerblades practised by the river, couples sat on their mopeds wrapped round each other stealing a moment together. The beach was packed in the evenings as well, after having it to ourselves all day we were joined by endless families at around 6.

Due to the white skin, very English features and blonde hair I (Vic) was like a local celebrity, if you're pale then go to Vietnam, they'll love you! Really weird when you come from the fake tan generation. I'd been there about 2 hrs when someone came over, put their baby in my lap (a proper cutie), and started taking pictures. Waitresses would wait for mark to go to the toilet and come over to gush, it was hilarious! Some people literally shouted 'white' to get our attention - kinda cool being somewhere where political correctness hasn't gone mad.

Oh and we saw a snake at the side of the road, it disappeared off pretty quickly.

Love to all,



Vicky and Mark

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb