LIEU'S STORY


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
August 16th 2008
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

LieuLieuLieu

What a lovely smile!
Anyone lucky enough to have met Lieu will have been struck by two indelible aspects of her nature. Despite a frail body she has a fierce determination to remain independent - but that trait comes with the most generous of personalities.

Born into a poor family she contracted polio at the height of the American War when just ten years old. Her father died about this time but, despite the chaotic state of the country, her mother managed to rig up a brace for her leg and give her the opportunity of education, however disrupted that may have been.

She struggled to school by either clinging to her mother's back, hobbling along using a stick or, on some days, just crawling on her hands - but she was determined to have an education. Despite constant bullying because of her affliction, Lieu's resilience carried her as far as Year 9 - but there her schooling stopped, as the senior school was too far from her home.

Always a gifted sewer, Lieu taught in a disabled group in Danang ten years ago - travelling there by public bus. At about this time Lieu was given a wheelchair which made life
HOA & LIEUHOA & LIEUHOA & LIEU

A Three Wheeled Motorbike makes all the difference in the world.
a bit easier but, three years ago, it was the acquisition of a three-wheel motorbike which really changed her life. Had this been available when she was younger Lieu is sure she could have held down a job.

Recognising her sewing talents, Lifestart paid for Lieu to learn how to make handbags and she now produces a range of these from home. At the Lifestart Foundation Workshop Lieu makes mosaic cards from recycled magazines and beautiful wine bottle covers and injects a steady stream of humour into the production line - whether it be in Vietnamese or passable English! She loves being part of the group here and now she is making the wine bottle covers she is very happy as she has started to be able to save a little for when she has to retire. Despite being 57 years old she hopes she will be a member of the Lifestart Workshop for a very long time and really hopes that its success will continue to help others like her in the future.



Lieu's products can be ordered via this blog.

WINE BOTTLE COVERS $10
MOSIAC CARDS 4 FOR $20
SILK SHOULDER BAGS $10
LIEU & SHERRYLIEU & SHERRYLIEU & SHERRY

Lieu has been working with Lifestart since the beginning of the Lifestart Foundation Workshop.


Plus postage from Vietnam.
Please send your address and colour choices with your order.

Lots of Love from Karen.
www.lifestartfoundation.org.au

Visit us at
LIFESTART FOUNDATION WORKSHOP
VIETTOWN
77 PHAN CHU TRINH STREET,
HOI AN. VIETANAM



Enjoying the blogs?? Forward them on or subscribe those who you think would be interested in Lifestart Foundation's work.......it's free!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

LIEULIEU
LIEU

Lieu wears braces on both legs so occasionally it's good to have a break.
HANH & LIEUHANH & LIEU
HANH & LIEU

Both deep in concentration making their workshop products.
LIEU & LUONGLIEU & LUONG
LIEU & LUONG

Both Lieu and Luong have a great sense of humour often having a chuckle whilst making their products.
MAKING MOSIAC CARDSMAKING MOSIAC CARDS
MAKING MOSIAC CARDS

Lieu makes beautiful mosiac cards from recycled magazines.
NEW LEG BRACESNEW LEG BRACES
NEW LEG BRACES

Lifestart Foundation paid for Lieu to be fitted with new leg braces which enable her to move a little easier.
DANANG REHAB HOSPITALDANANG REHAB HOSPITAL
DANANG REHAB HOSPITAL

The hospital was being built at the same time as Lieu was being fitted for her braces.
WAR ZONE?WAR ZONE?
WAR ZONE?

The rehab hospital was undergoing major construction. It resembled a war zone but it was business as usual...
LIEU & MAILIEU & MAI
LIEU & MAI

Lieu and Mai are pictured with their hand knitted blankets donated from Wrap With Love in Australia. This is a wonderful project where knitters in Australia hand knit beautiful and much needed blankets for others less fortunate around the world. Wrap With Love donated 60 blankets to Lifestart Foundation which were distributed to many people with disabilities in Vietnam.
WALKINGWALKING
WALKING

Walking is a real struggle for Lieu, she has braces on both legs and uses crutches to move very slowly. Despite enormous life challenges, Lieu would have to be one of the happiest people that I know.
LIEULIEU
LIEU

Lieu displaying one of her lovely shoulder bags.
LIEU'S SHOULDER BAGLIEU'S SHOULDER BAG
LIEU'S SHOULDER BAG

Lieu makes these bags in a variety of colours.
Wine Bottle CoversWine Bottle Covers
Wine Bottle Covers

Wine bottle bag made from quality Vietnamese silk, patterned with the ancient symbols of longlife and happiness. Your wine bag keeps traveling long after you stop! Our wine bottle bags include a gift card to record all those who receive a bottle in the bag. Not only a great way to recycle, but this also helps share our workshop story.


15th August 2010

congratulations to your work
Hey Lieu and Karen, This is Oscar (& Jac) from Australia. We want to let you know that we are enjoying selling your beautiful bags at our market in Canberra "Gorman House Markets". Thank you and congratulations for your beautiful products...you are an ispiration...actually, you both (Lieu and Karen) are an inspiration for Jac and myself. Keep in touch...we hope to meet you in Vietnam soon. Best regards, Oscar and Jac. :)
15th August 2010

Thank you from Karen
To our interested readers have a look at this website http://www.crusoedenbody.com/passing_it_on Jac and Oscar are a recently married special young couple. Jac volunteered with Lifestart in Vietnam several years ago and we have remained friends ever since. She now has a company called Crusoeden Body which has a gorgeous range of products. Have a look at the passing it on link on their website. They donate part of their profits to Lifestart and also sell a range of our workshop products at their weekend market stalls.
15th August 2010

Smile
It was soo lovely to see your smiling face once again....youa re often in my thougths and I hope to see you again one day. Keep up the good work - I have had many great comments about your cards that I have bought home. Regards and best wishes, Roslyn
16th August 2010

Keep up the good work chi Lieu !
Keep up the good work chi Lieu ! You'd be pleased to know that your beautiful products (and other's from LifeStart) were in display and for sale at LifeStart Dinner Dance in July just past! We still remember our visit at the workshop when we did some filming for VNTV (Vietnamese Television) program in Melbourne.

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb