Hanoi 31/07 - 01/07


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 31st 2017
Published: August 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

After our respite in Phong Nha, we arrived on a beautiful sunny day in Hanoi on tip top form - minus a disturbed sleep from Jack on the bus. We trotted off to find the "Hanoi Backpacker Hostel" and bizarrely a whole dorm named 'Geraghty' (anyone believe in fate?). We had a big to do list that day so cracked on after dumping our bags. First on the list was getting ourselves on a 2 day 1 night trip to Ha Long Bay at a price that wasn't going to make our eyes water. After playing the game at different tour desks for half an hour or so, getting free bananas and water for our trouble, we decided on going with "tour guide Tony" and managed to secure a tour for the following morning. First box ticked.



Second box that needed ticking was money. So we went to an ATM and managed to withdraw a large amount in one go which never happens.....so far so good. Next was Chars fake North Face Jacket which she had been so far, unsuccessfully, scouring the country for. After 10 minutes of searching we had it in a carrier bag and we went off to get our full house which was breakfast (for cheap). LO AND BEHOLD there was a sandwich lady parked up on the corner of our street and we had breakfast for 50p each - BANGING.



Jack at this point was feeling the strain of his poor nights sleep so we headed off to the nearest park outside "Uncle Ho Mausoleum". Whilst Jack was catching some ZZZs Char was researching our impending trip to Indonesia and all of the exciting places that were not to be missed. As we were there we went into the Mausoleum and it was actually a good one! Char was happy as Jack was dosed up on Caffeine so wasn't reading every single word on every single sign and Jack was happy because there were intriguing exhibitions and lots to look at for Char (happy lady = happy man). Not to mention the aircon which was a welcome reprieve from the 40+ degree day outside.



After that we got back to the hostel, checked into "Geraghty Dorm" showered and were smelling beautiful just in time for free beer hour. This day was really ticking all the boxes and turning out to be a good one. When all of a sudden whilst we were sipping on our free beer, we got an email from our volunteering placement in Java. They were asking for our clothes measurements and shoe sizes so that we could have parts in his wedding ceremony whilst we were there! Woohoo best news ever!

However, this meant Jack had to wait a little longer to catch up on his sleep.

We headed out to the market in search of a card, wedding present and a tape measure. Luckily all 3 only took a couple of hours (mostly deliberating the nicest present to buy them) which included a snack for us at the market.



We headed back wth our goodies in tow and called in with one last chinwag with Tony. He gave us a great deal on a bus ride from Hanoi to Sapa on the same day when returning from Ha Long Bay. WHAT A DAY. Jack could at last collapse into slumber.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb