Day - 5 leaving Cat Ba, to Hanoi to get overnight bus to Hu


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 24th 2015
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cat Ba to Ha Ling to Hanoi


Day 5 - Leavibg Cat Ba Island
We were up at seven in order to be ready for eight.... And we did it. Helen has improved every day with organising her stuff. She was well chuffed with herself this morning... Lol

We went down for breakfast, perfect timing. Today we were served a bread roll with butter and jam. I was hungry when I woke up, so was pleased to have anything! Again, I am enjoying the black Liptons tea in the morning.
We had breakfast with Annie and Jeremy today, all four of us get on really well; the conversations flow freely all ways.

We had a bit of wait before being hoarded into a bus to be driven down to the pier to get on the Junk boat for our return crossing from Cat Ba to Ha Long.

Getting into the boat was a bit dodgy, I threw my backpack across,then had to jump a foot across and about 6 foot down.the force of my landing took my flip flop out... Lol
We did the crossing on the top deck in the company of Annie & Jeremy. When you are chatting about everything from Government to politics, then travelling to family, it is amazing where the time goes! The crossing was a couple of hours, but we no sooner got on, then we seemed to be getting off again!

We had a short walk to the bus pick up point, which seemed longer than it was due to the heat. It's weird how that also makes your backpack seem heavier too!

Helen and I couldn't get on the first bus, then couldn't get on the second bus, but finally we managed to get on the third, and final one! This was better than it sounds as the benefit of having lots of space and empty seats was worth the wait!
We only travelled for about ten minutes when we stopped at a hotel for lunch. Both the other bus loads of people where already seated at tables. Lunch was served.

Another decent meal of rice, tofu, vegetables, another protein that No-one ever knows what it is..., and my favourite, morning glory. My ability to eat using chopsticks is a bit dodgy, but I am successfully getting my food from my plate and into my mouth without any major catastrophes!

We completed lunch by enjoying an ice-cream lolly outside the hotel.

Then off to a different bus for the three hour journey back to Hanoi. Annie and I was in the ball this time, she took my bag to place on a seat whilst I sorted the loading of my back pack. Perfect planning Annie, well done!

This bus was an unexpected luxury! A bed sleeper... Well lush! Hanoi here we come!

After about three hours of travelling on the bus; we had about ten minutes to catch the overnight bus to Hue. Looking back, all hell broke loose! What a laugh!

We all got off the bus to be led, crocodile fashion, to the guides office. It was quite a walk. Helen and my only concern was getting some food of any description to eat on the bus, and some water. The guide said it wasn't a problem we could do that. I daren't look back at Helen, it was a tough walk with the back packs on. It's amazing how much heavier they feel after time!

Finally we arrived at the office; it all went a bit mental with phone calls and pointing at us. The guide suggested the young lad would take one of us to get bread and good for the bus, we had actually snagged to get some bits and water, so wasn't too concerned.

Helens face lit up, she was very excited to get on the bike with him... Lol. Then the next minute another lad drove up, they told us to jump on the bikes, in a flash, we were zooming, winding, beeping, stopping and starting though the narrow streets of Hanoi.... It was crazy, and funny. I wished I could have seen Helens face!

Then I realised where we were going, not for food as we thought. I tapped the lad on the shoulder and asked are we going for food, or the bus? My suspicions were correct, we were going for the bus.....NNNNOOOO.... Our bags were still in the office with the other food and water ..... OMG... Panic. He left us at the bus, and went back for our bags. It was so tense, would we get our bags in time before the bus left? .... Yes, of course we did ... If it's not all right in the end, then it's not the end!

We finally got on the overnight bus to Hue.... With our bags!

The bus is lush... Again full length bed, air on, TV.... And WiFi!

Good night Hanoi.... On the way to Hue

We just had our first rest stop, and it offered more firsts for Helen. Footplate toilets that you have to swill out with a pan of water after use, and a freshly cut mango and pineapple. This has been a big day of fun and firsts!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th July 2015

Lol, sounds exciting - xx
24th July 2015

Thought u was slumming it ??? Never mind full length beds, tv and WiFi !!!! Lol . X

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb