Vietnam and Ha Long Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
April 7th 2014
Published: April 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our arrival in Hanoi on Wednesday morning greeted us with weak and sporadic wifi so we were unable to update our blog until now. Our first 2 days were spent in a small and charming boutique hotel in the old quarter of Hanoi. I cannot begin to describe how busy the traffic is in this city but also how it moves so efficiently despite the congestion. At first we were afraid to cross the street but soon we discovered the proper technique.....cross anytime, the lights don't actually mean anything, 2nd rule: you Must yield to cars and trucks and busses....they will hit you if you get in their way. 3rd rule: motorcycles will go around you as you cross the street provided you maintain the same walking speed as you cross. If you start running or stop on the street it screws up their timing and they will hit you! I am happy to report that we have so far not been run over in Hanoi.

Our next big excursion was an overnight trip to Ha Long Bay. Approximately 160 kilometres were covered in the 4 hour drive from Hanoi through towns and villages and agricultural countryside. The drive was quite interesting and also a much needed break from the noise of the city.

Our cruiser for the Bay was to be the "Phoenix Luxury", a 12 cabin ship specifically built as a tourist cruiser for 2 to 3 day cruises, we opted for 2 days and 1 night. Unbelievable views, great meals, cheap drinks, and 2 of the best tour guides we have ever encountered made the tour something we will remember forever! We went kayaking to a private beach, hiking to the top of one of the mountains, caving, did some squid fishing off the boat at night, and made some new friends with the other tourists whose nationalities includes British, Finnish, Swiss, American, Japanese and German. I think we both enjoyed fishing for squid the best although only the British couple were successful at catching anything!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Vietnamese WomenVietnamese Women
Vietnamese Women

Many Vietnamese women use these ancient carrying poles to sell their items on the street.
Motor Bike Baby SeatsMotor Bike Baby Seats
Motor Bike Baby Seats

No helmet required!
Room 502 -Royal Palace HotelRoom 502 -Royal Palace Hotel
Room 502 -Royal Palace Hotel

$34.00 Canadian per night
Another sales womanAnother sales woman
Another sales woman

Selling mangos
Fat Stacks!Fat Stacks!
Fat Stacks!

$4.5 Million Dong, that is roughly $250.00 Canadian
Ha Long BayHa Long Bay
Ha Long Bay

There are approximately 3,000 islands in the bay


7th April 2014

Your trip
This trip is sounding so amazing! I'm totally loving the motorbike baby seats! Great pics you two!!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb