There is No Permanence, Save for Change - Hà Nội and Hồ Chí Minh City, Vietnam


Advertisement
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
October 23rd 2013
Published: March 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The same winding stretch of land - where only decades ago, children from two ends of the world were torn violently from their families in an agonizing spiral of violence and terror, the pawns of politicians and strategists hunched over their maps, righteous by their doctrines - is traversed today by an international amalgamation of teens and twenty-somethings in colorful 'Good Morning Vietnam&... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




9th March 2014

Great wrap up of your trip through Vietnam...
I've enjoyed reading your blogs. So where are you off to next...or are you both settling down for awhile?
10th March 2014

Bob and Linda
Hey guys, great to hear from you. We are currently recovering financially and taking time to get Tara's graduate work taken care of, hopefully preparing for a new round of travel soon - though I still have so much catching up to do to finish this last trip alone. I'm so happy to see you guys are still following. Always awesome to hear from you.
10th March 2014

Hanoi - a disappointment and a turn off for the rest of the country (for me)
I flew in from Thailand and were planning a whole month in Vietnam, but the locals of Hanoi managed to change my mind in 2 short days. The Old Town where I, like most budget travelers, stayed was so disgustingly dirty, impossible to walk in - all sidewalks are occupied by peddlers and makeshift 'shops' so you forced to walk on the road, where locals just enjoy to push you with their scooters, noisy and just all-around a turn off. Though some hotel personnel were trying to be sweet (just 'trying', mind you), that didn't stop them from lying about amenities, misrepresenting charges on bills, and yes, even steeling part of my laundry! It is so frustrating that everyone aims to be 'sweet' and 'positive' and forgets that they also have a responsibility to be truthful when talking about travel. May be some had a better experience in Hanoi than I did but surely they were able to notice the pollution, the noise, the total disregard of locals for hygiene (they have actually SNEEZED in a dish that I just bought and still were gonna wrap it up for me, like nothing happen!) and a general hostile, money-grabbing attitude the people have toward tourists. If someone told me this I wouldn't have wasted valuable time and money to go and see for myself. Anyway, my take is: beware of Northern Vietnam, you are bound to feel disappointed and (may be) taken advantage of. There are better places in SE Asia you can visit instead.
10th March 2014

I can understand that
Hello Am, I hope I did an alright job balancing the positives and negatives in this blog. There can be no doubt that Hanoi is a city of scams, though I'm happy we found a $10 a night room in a clean and honest place. I think if we had stayed somewhere dirty and with an owner who was trying to scam us it might have put the experience over the edge. I still really found a lot to enjoy in Hanoi, but there is no doubt that many people will not take a liking to it.
11th March 2014

Great photos
Really enjoyed this blog, and the photos capture the essence of Hanoi and Saigon so beautifully! :)
11th March 2014

You guys are way too kind... what did you think about Hanoi and HCMC? I can certainly see where Am was going, about how Hanoi could really turn someone off if it catches you the wrong way, but I still found a lot to love in both cities.

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb