Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
July 17th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hanoi has been busy! The city is always hectic, with People, bikes, cars and shops EVERYWERE! So far we have stayed in the old quarter which is the oldest part of the city and seems so be the busiest.... Or at least it seems that way. After a day of walking around it appears the city is actually very laid back with people sitting by the side of the road socialising a lot of the time and the chaos of the roads gives a false impression. Learning how to cross the roads is 1st on the list of things to do in Hanoi and requires a degree of bravery rarely used anywhere else.

The Ho Chi Minh Complex was an odd experience ... queuing round the block and then filing in an orderly procession to his Mausoleum, where he is in a quiet, peaceful and cool room but with thousands of people shuffling past to see his embalmed corpse every day! Probably not what the man imagined would happen when he requested to be cremated.

We have also been on a boat trip where we were rowed along the Perfume river through limestone mountains, very similar to Guilin in China, to a mountain that had a large buddhist pagoda and a smaller temple at the top which was in a huge cave. An odd point was when our guide seemed intent on squeezing all 14 of us onto 2 small tables in a restaurant with around 200 more empty seats.

So far we have seen a: Centipede, spider, woodlouse and grass-hopper.... except 8 timesbigger than usual.

Tomorrow we are off on a 3 day trip to Halong bay with cousin Daniel, where we will go on a cruise and stay on one of the islands, which should be beautiful.

Watch this space...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



17th July 2012
real vietnamese people

Hats
I've got a hat like these people are wearing! We were given them for free when I was on my China trip when I was at school! x
17th July 2012

Good Bugs keep them crawling!
Hi glad all is going well photos look amazing. Dad wants to know about the food? Do they do flat pack versions of those hats, that the real vietnamese were wearing because they are awesome! Hope you have a good time at Halong bay. Look forward to seeing more amazing photo's. xxx
21st July 2012

Yes the hats are everywhere, and are cheap, but not very portable i'm afraid! I have a pic of a HUGE spider too but I wasn't gonna go near enough to get a picture that actually shows that it is bigger than my hand span! Halong Bay was amazing and we survived almost intact just rather battered! off up to Sapa tonight and will update on here with pics when we get back. Kisses ... (there is no cross button on this keyboard!)
25th July 2012

Hello
Nice to hear from you. The photos are lovely but wouldn't like the big bugs! Glad you enjoyed Halong Bay. Take care. Grandma xx

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb