Painful Puppets!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
April 5th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Painful isn't the main adjective I was expecting to use to describe the famous Hanoi Water Puppet show, but painful it was! The seating was made for short people, very short people, no make that exceedingly short people! As soon as I sat down, I just laughed at the leg room (I've taken a photo - and will upload - it's hilarious). Funny, that is, until I had to sit sideways, painfullly, for the next 50 minutes watching a strange watery (and I have to be honest) pretty rubbish puppet show. The saving grace for the experience was watching the accompanying band playing some unusual instruments, one being a one-stringed ban lau that was pretty weird sounding - a bit like someone playing a saw with a bow! There was also a hammered dulcimer, a kind of flute (blown from half way down the instrument) some guitar like instruments and drums. There were also two waily, shouty women, the less said about them the better.

It was therefore an experience not to be missed if you're in Hanoi, but prepare yourself for PAIN! Unless of course you are under 5 foot tall or have disproportionately short legs compared to your body height!

Another scrummy meal followed the painful puppets, this time deep fried vegetable spring rolls with yummy dipping sauce followed by nom nom hot tofu and vegetable curry (not that keen on tofu normally but it was actually lovely), washed down by Hanoi beer of course.

For the next couple of days I'm going to the wonderfully scenic Halong Bay on a boat trip, so will not be able to add to this blog until I return. I'm so looking forward to this part of the trip. The boat we have sounds very luxurious from Phat's description, so we are preparing ourselves for some major rest and relaxation away from the noise and bustle of Hanoi. Back in a few days time. xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb