HA NOI - PERFUME PAGODA


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
November 13th 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

13.11.08

Km travelled 17082

Ha Noi is a very nice place, but having decided to spend one more day here we thought it was worth getting out and see something else. The choice has been then a trip to the Perfume Pagoda.
We've been picked up in the morning at our hotel and joined a group of people already packed in the van. Half of the group was a family, I think from France/Martinique, parents, two kids, and two grandparents. As for the rest of us, it was a big mix. A French girl on a short trip between Ha Noi and Bangkok, an American lady on the same route, a Danish girl living in Ha Noi for ten months, a German guy travelling for four weeks in Vietnam.
It's been a beautiful journey. After a couple of hours driving on the crazy streets of Vietnam, where no rule exists, we stopped along a river where we left the van and got, on groups of four, on small metal rowing boats, the colour of rust. At the pier ladies under their conic hats came like a swarm trying to sell us piles of their hats while we were waiting to get on the boat.
Rowing along the river was wonderful. Surrounded by rocky mountains covered in thick green. We've been sliding on the water surface, passing by, every now and again, half-flooded shrines, shops and sheds. The landscape is so gorgeous. In one hour we reached the foot of the mountain where the Perfume Pagoda is hidden. As usual we didn't have much time so we all decided to take the cable car on the way up. From there the view was even more spectacular and you could spot people working on the slope of the mountain.
A long steep stair lead down to the mouth of the enormous cave that contains the Pagoda. Only one monk lives there but many people come to pray or leave offers.
We've never seen anything like this before. The altar with numerous statues of Buddha is down in the depth of the cave ad when we reached it lights and music were on. Few people were sitting barefoot on wide carpets attending a ceremony.
We walked the way down the mountain and met everyone for a good Vietnamese lunch. That has definitely been the only time we had the opportunity to socialize and learn a bit about everyone. In the group there was also a Vietnamese lady that couldn't speak English so that no one knew anything about her. The only note I can write is that she was wearing heels and had the music turned on her mobile all the time.
Just few minutes away from where we had lunch, we paid a visit to another small Pagoda dedicated to Confucius.
The ladies with their boats were waiting to row us back to the van. I was only a bit disappointed when the lady that took us claimed a bigger tip that the one she got.
By the time we got back to Ha Noi it must have been peak hour, because the roads where all packed with scooters stuck in long cues. We drop off one by one and at last we've been left outside our hotel.
For the night we went out for dinner again, but it wasn't as good as the previous. Still we enjoyed it, but back to the hotel we had to pack everything again. It's time for the so aimed cruise in Ha Long Bay. Finally.



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th November 2008

your Vietnam trip
Thanks for sharing all those great photos and for your interesting text. Keep trucking! f r a n k i e

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb