Bikes, Bikes, Bikes!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
November 2nd 2003
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oh well, if I thought Bangkok was crazy, then Hanoi is just insane! Let me just start with that.

The flight from Bangkok to Hanoi wasnt too long. We got to Hanoi late at night, and as we were driving along the 'freeway' we noticed that there was nothing in sight. When we pulled up to the hotel we looked at each other and said 'this is it?'.

We went to our rooms, and then went out to the streets and hired a cyclo for about half an hour to take us around. But it was after 10pm, so everything in our area was very quite.

My first impression of Hanoi was that I hated it. I had never had culture shock like this before, but by the next morning I was fine.

So today we went with the same cyclo driver that took us around last night. We just went to a few markets, but they were so disorganised, that I didnt even know where to begin.

As we were walking back into the hotel we met a girl Priscilla. She was originally from New Zealand, but had moved to Melbourne. So we all went out to lunch together. After lunch we went to the Army Museum. As museum's arn't really my thing, I was a little bored after looking at weapon after weapon.

Back at the hotel we got into a fight with the cyclo drivers. Well actually, Priscilla's driver was a real prick. He pretty much more than doubled the price of what he said he would charge her. Anyways, it all ended nicely.

We went for a walk around the streets, and visited some dvd and cd stores. Two shops cd's, one shop shoes, three shops dvd's, one shop books. This is the way it went, street after street. I bought a few dvd's and cd's, $2 for a dvd in clear quality isnt bad!

Earlier tonight we met some more Australians. It seems Vietnam is the hot spot for Australians right now, and also a girl from England and one from Ireland. Oh, they know how to drink!

We all went out for dinner together and as we were crossing the road, I was almost totaled by a motorbike. They are five times as many in Vietnam than in Thailand. This happened on several occasions throughout the night to most of us.

After dinner we just went to a cafe to watch the soccer, and shared a space alongside the gecko on the wall.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb