Day 15: Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
April 5th 2018
Published: April 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We’re staying in the Box Hotel, central of the Old Quarter in Hanoi. The culture is so different to Thailand; we’ve said it has more of a Chinese/Japanese feel which we love. But we love how beyond cheap Vietnam is more; local beer costs 17p and vodka costs £2.30 a bottle which is dangerous but fantastic. Mind you the vodka tastes like beef crisps but we’re running with it.
The currency is incredibly difficult to get your head around considering it’s 31,000 VND to the pound. We’ve also noticed that theft happens pretty often in Hanoi; I’ve saw 2 theft attempts and a pick pocket within the space of a five minutes along one particular street, all on tourists. It’s really important to keep your your wits about you and belongings close, trust no one. The Vietnamese have become very inventive in the way they sell you things too; a lady shoved a bar with pineapples hanging off onto Dean and posed for a photo then demanded money. It’s sly, but works.
The roads are also mayhem; no organisation whatsoever. The only way to get across is to weave yourself between the traffic and the cars/bikes will swerve you. Hopefully.
We’ve decided to treat ourselves to a Hay Long Bay boat party tour, taking up 2 days and 1 night. We’ve heard it’s so much fun and the best way to see the islands. The damage is 85$ so consequently we’re on chicken, rice and our floor cleaner vodka for the next few days. The nightlife also couldn’t be better in Hanoi, it’s easy to meet travellers and you can get drunk on £1. This city is unlawful, loud and brilliantly crazy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb