Resort life Vietnamese style


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hai Phong » Cat Ba Island
June 16th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I wasn't initially impressed by the island. This may have had something to do with the fact that it was pouring rain after our time in Halong Bay. With nothing to do in the morning when our hike got cancelled, we spent time drinking Vietnamese iced coffees, eating lychees and deflecting crude pickup lines from self-purported Vietnamese playboys.

Thankfully the weather cleared up and I got to spend the afternoon at the beach observing the Vietnamese enjoying their beach vacations. It was great determining current Vietnamese beach fashion, who was there with their current consort/mistress and of course current Asian trends in avoiding the sun. The Cat Ba beach looked like any other normal beach but was not on the mainland and so it was a destination for the well-off who were able to take the ferry over and pay the hotel resort pricing.

On a random note: Cat Ba also gave me my first time close up encounter with the horseshoe crab (sadly it was from a restaurant tank). I couldn't get over its long spine-like tail and helmut-like shell! Apparently this creature is like a living fossil and one that scuba divers would seek out (from a safe distance away?).




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



5th July 2009

Cat ba! how many times did you get ripped off there?

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb