Halong Bay and Sapa


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
July 26th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

2 whole weeks down and we've been busy. After Hanoi we spent 3 days in Halong Bay on a Castaway Island Trip joined by Jonny's cousin Dan. After cruising through a few of the thousands of limestone hills and stopping for some brief acrobatic diving from the boat, we arrived at our private island and were greeted by the previous tour group who were a day ahead. A large dinner was followed by some drinking games and dancing and once everyone was drunk enough we went swimming in the phosphorescent waters to a lethal pontoon (due to the barnacles on the sides). We later found out that the phosphorescence was due to plankton in the water lighting up like fireflies when given energy from your movement. In Pitch black under the cloudy sky it was quite an experience.

The following day after minimal sleep in a wall-less shack, a day of lounging on the beach and fun activities ensued starting with canoeing, wake boarding, rock climbing and tubing (Clinging on for dear life whilst being dragged round the bay on a small inflatable raft by a big speed boat) - a relaxing way to enjoy the UNESCO scenery!

Once back in Hanoi we headed up North into the Mountains and visited a large colourful market in Bac Ha where the local hill tribe villagers come to trade thier produce and sell beautiful handwoven fabrics and embroidery. Our local bus journey from the overnight train up to the market was eventful, we had to keep stopping for locals to load on vegtables and livestock and the driver managed to hit a huge bull in the middle of the mountain road! We also passed an elephant that seemed to be casually enjoying a ride on the back of a pick up truck!

The following day we visited Sapa where we went on a trek with a 17 year old local guide who was part of the Black Hmong Tribe. She took us through the numerous rice paddies that stepped every mountainside in sight. We visited 3 remote villages where we were inevitably hounded by local children to buy woven bracelets. Much of our time trekking was spent trying to remain upright on our feet as we balanced around the edges of the rice paddy terraces; the rain had turned the sandy clay ground into a skating rink. At lunch time it was clear many were not as adept at this as we were!

The cool mountain climate was a welcome change from HOT Hanoi, but now we are back in the heat down in Hoi An with temperatures nearing 40 degrees. Ergo; treating ourselves to a large en-suite, air-conditioned room in a hotel with a swimming pool, at the extortionate rate of $24 a night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



29th July 2012

Hello
Lovely to hear from you and that you're having a good time. Photos are great - not too much drinking I hope! Scenery fantastic, rather you than me with all the walking. Doesn't look as if you've lost weight for all your exercise! Just a red shiny nose and a nice smile! Take care and have fun, thinking of you all the time, Nan xxx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb