Avoiding a Hassle For Dummies


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
June 26th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What oh what to do on a rainy day in a mountain hill station?

I've been perfectly happy to do absolutely nothing. Illness and exertion in equal measure have caught up to me and I slept in, took a nap, and plan on going to bed early again tonight.

But I thought that I might offer some advice (and some more photos), especially for those of you contemplating a trip like this.

One of the most intimidating parts of travel is arriving someplace new. You are unfamiliar with the geography, the weather, the scams and language, the people, and how to get around. If you can get this part down, then you have won half the battle.

Most backpackers do not rely on reservations. If you do manage to make them, then you can usually arrange an airport or bus/train station pickup. But it will cost you, and you will miss out on much of the excitement and adventure part of your adventure.

So what do you do? I'll give you my technique, and hope that it works for you.

Step 1: While you are on the plane or train or rickety bus, pull out your guidebook. Familiarize yourself as much as possible (memorize it if you can) with the following:

• Methods of transportation to your hotel or the local backpacker ghetto (every major and most minor towns have one), along with suggested costs
• The current exchange rate, and possible location of ATMs or currency exchange locations at your point of arrival
• Location of bus stops and other transportation stops at your point of arrival
• The names and locations of a couple of hotels/hostels that sound good, preferably near to each other
• Anything else that you deem pertinent

Step 2: Pull out some scrap paper and create a "cheat sheet." Write all this stuff down. You can even draw a little map of how to get from your dropoff point to the hotel/hostel area, mark the exchange rate, and all necessities. You do not want to be walking around a crowded bus station with your guidebook out. Nothing says "take advantage of me" louder, nothing will draw the touts to you faster, that bumbling around with your copy of Lonely Planet. The idea is to look like you know what you're doing, even when you don't.

Step 3: When you do arrive, move slowly but purposefully. Look around and get your bearings. Where is the ATM? Where is the tourist information booth? Where is the taxi stand or minibus stop? Refer to your cheat sheet if you need to; remember it just looks like a scrap of paper now. Exchange some money (not a whole lot, just enough to get you by for a little while), pick up some maps if you want.

Step 4: Watch other foreigners. What are they doing? Is there a minibus full of them that you can share? Is there someone else who looks like they might want to pitch in on a taxi? (note: this is not foolproof, as many of these tourists will be even more clueless than you. I've heard horror stories of people being charged nearly US$100 for a US$1.5 ride from the Hanoi airport into town).

Step 5: Do not go with anyone who approaches you, unless you get a warm fuzzy feeling about him. Repeated polite "no thank yous" will work until you have figured out where you want to go. They will usually hit you up as soon as you exit customs (or your bus, or your train), when you are at your most confused. Just keep walking and remember that you choose.

[h2Biggest points to take away:

Look like you know what you're doing
• Be prepared
(the Boy Scouts were on to something!)

This will help you out not just on arrival, but any time you're out exploring, haggling at the marketplace, trying to find a place for dinner, or making reservations for onward travel.

Hope this helps!



**If you enjoyed this post, then make sure you subscribe by clicking on the "subscribe" button at the top left of the page! Tell others!
**New readers: Get the quick and dirty at . You can start at the beginning or pick anywhere you like to start living vicariously (or laughing vicariously, as it will most likely turn out)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb