Day 28: Hanoi to Sapa, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Lao Cai » Sapa
March 1st 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hanoi to Sapa


Off we go again!Off we go again!Off we go again!

Leaving Hanoi!
Monday, February 23rd, 2009
Last night after dinner we finally got the opportunity to get some bank statements and do our last months budget. Wow!
We had realized that prices here soared since the publishing of the guidebook, but we hadn't realized just what an impact it had made on our budget! Ouch! The weak Rand and some optimistic initial budgeting on our side also didn't help much. Unless we find some place to volunteer we'll probably only stay another month in South-East Asia before moving on to New Zealand.

We packed for the coming trek, checked out of the hotel and went to wander the streets of Hanoi.

We saw the Memorial House. It's a beautifully restored traditional Chinese-style merchant home. After that we went to see the Bach Ma Temple, the oldest temple in Hanoi, but it was closed. We wandered the streets some more until Talita's eagle eyes spotted a silk shop. She couldn't resist anymore! After a month of desiring some cloth she finally got a gorgeous silk scarf.

We had some coconut ice cream by the lake waiting for 5pm when the Water Puppet Theater would start. It was a 50min show and very interesting even though we didn't understand the language. A traditional orchestra supplied the music. The puppeteers hide behind a screen and control the puppets with sticks beneath the water. Very loud and colourful.

After dinner we went to the tour company's offices to await our transfer to the train station. A taxi took us to the "train station". From the outside you wouldn't say its a train station. Luckily we had a guide who took us through the process.

We had a really nice cabin which we shared with Cindy and Jesse, two girls from Taiwan. Actually they are 30 and 40 respectively but they both look 25.

Today's highlights:
1. Talita got her silk scarf!
2. Enjoyed coconut icecream by the lake
3. Had a good time being entertained by the water puppets


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Bach Ma templeBach Ma temple
Bach Ma temple

Oldest temple in Hanoi


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb