Halong Bay


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Halong BayHalong BayHalong Bay

A peaceful setting.
Hello everyone!! We have done a lot of travelling these past two day with our journey to Halong Bay. The journey took over 3 hours with a stopover at an arts & crafts shop supporting peoples with disabilities. Temperature about 18 degrees and overcast.

A World Heritage Site, Halong Bay covers almost 600 sq. miles with more than 2000 pinnacle shaped limestone and dolomite outcrops scattered through out the area.

According to legend, he was formed when a gigantic dragon - ba log meaning descending dragon plunged into the Gulf of Tonkin and created the myriad islets by lashing its tail.

So this morning we boarded the Baithru 36, a wooden junket approximately 80 feet in length. Interesting that Halong Bay services about 4000 people per day with 1200 taking overnight sailings. There are 460 vessels the size of the Baithru 36 and 200 larger. Our tour included on board vendors and a lovely lunch serviced on white linen.

Our sailing time to Hang Thien Cung took about one hour. With Wu as our guide we began the trek to the Celestial Palace Grotto. This very large grotto features sparkling stalactites and stalagmites illuminated wth colored lights.
Halong BayHalong BayHalong Bay

Barbara & Marika
While in the echo chamber a few of us took the opportunity to sing "Oh Canada".

Although the sky over Haong Bay was overcast the view and experience was wonderful. I can only imagine what it must look like of a clear day. Definitely a highlight.

Our day ended with an expensive dinner at the hotel (we needed a change in flavours). A few of us dined on rabbit while others had pasta and steak.

Thought that you might enjoyed seeing the latest in hair technique, here in Hanoi. We actually thought about letting Marika give it a go!

Tomorrow morning a walking tour of the French Quarter followed by an afternoon flight to Hue.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

Stalactites & Stalagmites
Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

Hang Thien Cung
Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

More rocks
Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

Jayleen
Hanoi, VietnamHanoi, Vietnam
Hanoi, Vietnam

Latest hair technique!


3rd March 2011
Halong Bay

Parking lot
I don't think I'd want to try to park in there.....

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb