Dong Rui 2


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
August 3rd 2015
Published: August 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Same schedule today but different. It is still raining in Quang-Ninh so our schedule is subject to change. The rain is beginning to get to me. I am a little concerned but not too much. I just wish for a pause. Our first stop was a school where we were to meet with local kids and teach them the importance of Mangrove Forrest and there impact/importance to the environment. After a two hour drive we finally reached. We were received warmly, the kids all assembled and we're very curious with there stares. We would waive hello and they would turn there gaze and laugh among themselves. The awards and presentation of gifts were held under a tent in the school yard outdoors. It was still raining. After the thanks you's and speeches we moved to the school house. Maybe 50 kids ages 3 to maybe 12 were assembled, all in there school uniforms and assembled at there desk. With eyes fixed on the front of the class, the lesson began. A colleague from a local office in Hanoi started the lesson and was aided by a colleague from our Japan office. Both took turns explaining the lesson in there respective languages. A slide presentation on a projector emphasized what was being explained by the two speakers. There was a question and answer session or quiz for the kids to ensure they were following along. After the lesson we presented toys to the kids brought from our respective offices. We then moved to the courtyard where we played games and made origami figures with the kids. After a few hours we all participated in photo taking. Our motorcade departed for lunch, again at a local restaurant arranged by local officials. Each table was joined by one to two local officials who enjoyed lunch with us. As custom, we periodically had shots of a local vodka served from a plastic water bottle, a sort of thank you. Lots of customs to follow. Post lunch it was off to the planting spot for the day. After a brief photo session the planting started. It was still pouring down raining. My boots were soaked and I fell once after getting stuck in the mud. After a few hours of planting we cleaned up and prepared to head back. Just as we were finishing the rain stopped, briefly. As we walked back to the motorcade the landscape came in to better focus. BEAUTIFUL. A quick bathroom stop at a local People's Republic office; two hours later we were back at home base. After a brief cleanup and rest we headed back out to dinner at a local restaurant. This by far was the best meal we have eaten, mostly seafood dishes. FRESH FRESH. As I write it's about two in the morning and I am sitting in the lobby because the connection in my room won't work for some reason. No worries, I still can not sleepwear I am suppose to be asleep. Bytheway, it's raining again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb