Apocalypse Chow


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northeast » Quang Ninh » Halong Bay
April 1st 2013
Published: April 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It had to be something we'd eaten. Not long after calling it a night, we both started to feel a bit ill, and our worst fears were realised as we began fighting for the bathroom to violently expel the contents of our stomachs. It was one of the worst nights of my life, and I couldn't believe our trip had taken such a disastrous turn so soon. Rach was worse off by some margin, and there was even talk of how we could throw in the towel and fly home early, though it quickly occurred to us that a 10 hour flight in our condition wasn't the best idea.

Carrying on wasn't the most attractive option either. On most other holidays you'd have the option of recovering from such an unfortunate ailment in your hotel, but not so on a trip like this. In our fragile state we faced four hours in a mini bus crashing through the biggest potholes in the world, followed the next day by a 15 hour night train ride. To say we were dreading it would be something of an understatement.

Needless to say, as morning arrived we skipped both breakfast and the trip to 'Amazing Cave' (no matter how amazing it was, it wouldn't be worth the risk of straying from the bathroom...). As the boat journeyed back to the dock, we sat outside to get some fresh air, before the boat arrived and dropped us off ready for the minibus trip back to Hanoi. I've probably bleated on about things being awful for long enough, so I'll just say that it wasn't a particularly nice journey back to the capital.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb