Ha Noi Day 1


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast
March 2nd 2016
Published: March 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Museum of EthnologyMuseum of EthnologyMuseum of Ethnology

Carved mortise and tendon on an ethnic house done with a crude ax and chisel.
Sometime during the night I was awakened byClaudette’s purring (a polite way of putting it) and I reached out to give her a nudge. Icoudn't reach her. I tried again, this time with my foot. Nothing. Igads this bed is big!



Today’s number one project was to plan the next asix Day’s itinerary. We had mostly decided where we wanted to go so we asked the folks here at the hotel to put a trip together a trip for us. We thought that on our way to the ethnology museum we would stop at a travel agency to get another price. That never happened so for the price of a weeks all inclusive in the Caribbean, we have 8 days of the same in northern Vietnam.



The museum was a wonderful introduction to the various cultures of the country. There we replicas of various building styles on the outside and inside were costumes and lifestyle artefacts. The short videos helped put everything into perspective. Not quite the museum standards as we saw in Myanmar as the displays were dusty and the panels for the exhibit cases gave minimal explanations.



Each replica building
LongboatLongboatLongboat

A 51 seated that won many international competitions.
outside was staffed by a young person bent over a cell phone. If they were there for security, they seldom looked up. If they were there for interpretation (there seemed to be many manuals nearby), they hardly acknowledged the visitorspresence. Cellphonesshouldbebannedwhileonduty.



While touring inside, I came across an out of the way, steep stairway with a sign on the wall saying “discoveryroom”. It was like that classic sign saying, EAT ME. A pretty young lady came around the corner and invited me upstairs. How could I resist! I had already figured out that this must be a kids interpretation centre. I was invited to make an ink block print but I declined after seeing the a rickety low plastic stool. This wee thing would never be able to pull me back up.



I saw a game that resembled backgammoan on a nearby table. The rules were not difficult so I quickly caught on. I WON, or more likely, she let me win. Drawers and chests were filled with other activities. The lady kept me involved with conversation as she wanted to improve her English to become a tour guide. I suddenly realized that I had not seen Claudette for some time and that she was probably wondering where I had disappeared to. I bid the girl good-bye and good luck and complimented her on her English. I am sure that in a few years she will make an excellent guide and fulfil her dream of saving enough money to travel abroad.



Claudette was indeed wondering where I had got to and had seen the stairs but figured I had not wanted to attempt them. O yea of little faith. Amazing what motivation a pretty face will provoke.

The last building, a costume display of south-east Asia, was under renovation, thus closed. Pity.



We took a taxi back to the hotel as it was approaching late afternoon, to see what sort of adventure had been planned for us. With some cut and paste from various tour options, we will be occupied for the rest of our stay in the country. For my own cut and paste dilemma, I asked the front desk manager if there was anywhere nearby where I could buy a cheap mouse. He instead sent one of his lobby staff off on the quest. Within
Women RuleWomen RuleWomen Rule

From a matriarchal tribe.
15 minutes he was back with a $5 mouse. Problem solved. Be prepared for a mass upload of our adventures of the last few days.



Some of the places we are going to are out of the way so I may again get bogged down.



Claudette had been feeling queezy since lunch and desided to retire. Though we had shared our dishes at lunch, I was getting hungry. Lunch had been at the museum in a resto run by an organization that trains disadvantaged youth to better their lives. Here they learned culinary and table service skills. The food was good but definitely adjusted for the western palate.



I headed out in search of supper. Not far away I was approached by a toot who showed me an interesting menu. When I indicated that I was interested, she entered the building lobby and pushed 4 on the elevator key pad. A few Europeansenteredwithmeandup we went. I noticed there was a lounge but followed the others up a flight of stairs. I was created by the mitre d who asked if I had a reservation. No? No problem and I was escorted
The Bigger The BetterThe Bigger The BetterThe Bigger The Better

A status symbol that serves no real purpose.
up a spiral staircase. I was in the penthouse dining room. I thought about leaving but the prices on the menu I had seen at street level was reasonable.



I had the small dining room to myself as the balcony was packed. It had a beautiful view of a park across the street all lit up with colourful lights along a walkway leading out to an island. Definitely something to look into when we get back to town. Ha Noir is more civilized than Yangon. There are fewer cars, more scooters and no Chinese Buffalo, those single-stroke engines that spew forth toxic fumes. Still, I sit here hacking, trying to clear my lungs of city air. It will be good to get to the country again. Now I know how the late 19th century upper class felt like when they would leave the city in the summer to take in the country air at their summer homes in North Hayley and Dalhart, to name just a couple.



I highly recommend the Cau Go restaurant. The service is attentive without being over-bearing. The cocktail was as good as anywhere. The traditional spring rolls would have easily served two as an entrée. They were not too greasy and the veggies were not overcooked. Local fresh greens added an extra hit of flavour. The dipping sauce was a broth of boiled root vegetables with a few drops of the ever-present fish sauce. While I waited for the fried calamari with garlic tamarind sauce I had ordered for the main course, the waiter recounted the history behind spring rolls. There were no little dishes of condiments like in Myanmar not was rice served. The squid was cooked to perfection and the batter was a light golden colour and barely tasted of oil. The sauce could have been better. I could not taste the garlic and the tamarind was a bit sweet. I was a good boy and did not have dessert. The meal cost $25, tip included, about what I would pay at home.



Back to our room to write up the blog and pack for the next few days. Since we are coming back here, we can store what we don’t need until our return. A sx-thirty start tomorrow and the hotel will pack us a brekkie box.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tomb IITomb II
Tomb II

Many of the decorations had a sexual theme.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb