Đồng Hới


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast
February 2nd 2014
Published: April 27th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Over looking Dong Hoi harbor.

Uncle Hung dropped me off at the Hue train station. The train ride from Hue to Dong Hoi was estimated to be 3-4 hours. Once I arrived I walked the city looking for a hostel to stay. Trying my hardest to avoid Motocycle taxi, but I eventually gave in.





Fishing boats docked in the harbor.



The beaches of Dong Hoi. Great place to visit to avoid the crowd.



Tam Tòa Church ruins



What I ate:

Mien Luon is glass noodle soup with eel. Very fresh tasting eel without the fishy taste. A local favorite in Dong Hoi.



Bird's Nest Drink





I found this interesting drink on the menu of a restaurant outside of Phong Nha Cavern. This drink is made from Sparrow spits that were collected from their nest. Sparrow nests are often at the edge of cliffs and can be difficult to get to. The spit hangs near the nest and eventually dries, forming a fibrous gelatinous substance. This substance is consider to be a delicacy by locals. It is typically use to make sweet dessert soup. This drink is pretty much that dessert soup in a can. It taste like plain jello with a moderately chewy consistency. I like it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Remnants of the WarRemnants of the War
Remnants of the War

This church was bombed by American planes during the Vietnam War. It is a reminder of the atrocities of wars.


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb