Hue


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
July 21st 2012
Published: August 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hard Seat Train from Hue to Dong Hoi 17 secs
Hue BridgeHue BridgeHue Bridge

Famously blown up during the Vietnam War apparently.
We left Hoi An for Hue on a tourist bus, it was the cheapest option, even cheaper than the local bus! We were last to get picked and couldn't sit together and I got the best seat (!) in the middle at the back of the bus, with a smelly little teenager falling asleep on my shoulder!!!! Then a load of locals got on, for free presumably, and sat on the floor clogging up the aisles.

Our first impression of Hue wasn't the best and it didn't change. Our hotel was skanky and we just didn't get a good feel for it. Luckily we were next door to the cheapest caf we'd had the pleasure of dining in 'on thu wheels' and frequented it over the two days.
Hue is a city full of history(although most of it did get destroyed by american bombs), we didn't want to go and see the tombs or the DMZ for 20 dollars a pop. Instead we read about the history, saved some money and walked around the macon citadel, boasting a 30m across and 4 meter deep moat whist dripping with sweat and then got a cyclo back to skanksville.

We decided
Hue Citadel OutbuildingsHue Citadel OutbuildingsHue Citadel Outbuildings

Most of Hue's historical buildings were destroyed in the war.
to get the train to Dong Hoi early the next day and bought the cheapest tickets possible(£1.50 for a 5 hour journey). We had to kick off the family of 9 sat in our seats, they were fine about it and just moved to the floor in between our legs! After ten minutes I wished I'd had the foresight to lay on the floor instead, it looked by far comfier than the hard seats, sorry wooden bench we were sat on. Five hours later and we had arrived in Dong Hoi, Paul helped the family unload their belongings, I think they might have been moving house judging by the amount of boxes and bags they had! It was fun and much better than being on a bus with a load of 'gap yah' morons.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The moat & liliesThe moat & lilies
The moat & lilies

Looks cold but believe me it was 34 degress with 80% humidity!


Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.07s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb