Tet Celebration


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
February 2nd 2011
Published: April 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We took a bus to Hoi an, checked in, and then went exploring. Knowing much of the city might be shut down for Tet tomorrow made us want to see as much as possible. All along the river were huge paper lanterns of various shapes and colors, all waiting to be lit. Shopkeepers were setting up other displays and offerings for the new year. All the shops were open yet, owners looking anxious as time passed.

After wandering all the old town streets and seeing the Japanese bridge we settled into looking for dinner. We found a place recommended by LP that was right on the water. All the tables were marked reserved for the evening but they squeezed us in. (I think the reservations were for a later hour so that people could eat and watch the festivities from above.) I had grilled mackerel wrapped in a banana leaf. It came with a citrus dipping sauce and tasted divine. There's nothing like a perfect meal on a holiday!

We went back to our hostel for a bit to relax and then Tom and I left at 9pm to see the festivities. We admired all the lights before settling in for a few beers, spending 1.50 USD each. Then we went over to the stage and watched the singing and dancing for an hour before the fireworks. A crowd of thousands counted down together in a multitude of languages and at midnight the fireworks began. For twenty minutes fireworks filled the sky, slowly at first, then faster and faster; first one or two at a time, then five at a time, then more! There were even fireworks that exploded as a bout eight different ones, often glittering gold. It was the best fireworks show of my life.

As we walked back to our hostel, there was chaos all around. Music was blaring, people were dancing, traffic was at a standstill. People were hurrying to light incense and lay out fruit and sweets on tables outside. They burned pictures by the curb, perhaps for luck. It's like the whole town came to life at midnight to receive the new year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Getting ready for TetGetting ready for Tet
Getting ready for Tet

These yellow flowers were everywhere
Selling candles in boatsSelling candles in boats
Selling candles in boats

These were put on the water at midnight


Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.2702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb