Ho Chi Minh City


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
April 14th 2012
Published: April 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

14.4.2012

Early morning flight to HCMC. Arrived and noticed it was very humid and stuffy. Got the local bus to the centre, everyone on the bus was very helpful and friendly and told us were to go and when to get off. We stayed in the backpacker district and found our hotel fine. In the afternoon we headed to the Presedential Palace. It was pretty boring really, not much to see and nothing interesting. We got back the hotel and I had a few beers while we got ready as it was the FA cup semi final Liverpool v Everton. Sophie skyped the family and we booked a few tours which meant we missed the first 10 mins but didn't miss anything. We watched the match on a roof top bar overlooking the city. Everytime we scored I jumped up screaming my head off having to apologise everytime! So happy we won 2-1 we stayed out for a few more drinks.

15.4.2012

We visited the Cu Chi tunnels. It was so interesting learning about the 200km tunnel network that the Viet Cong used in the war against America. The tunnels had 3 levels - 1st for living and fighting, 2nd layer for hiding and the 3rd for escaping. The ground was clay so it worked well but must have been so hard work to make, and to think people lived down there for upto 20 years is crazy. We were allowed to go through tunnels which were made 2 times bigger for us and they were still really small! We got shown all the traps that they set. Some of the to kill or badly injure. Some of them were really harsh and so well made that they must have made casualties.

On the way back we got dropped off at the War Museum. It was pretty scenic. They had reports and pictures of what the Americans did to innocent people and families. The effects of Orange Agent and Nepalm still has its effects on poeple today. The pictures were very disturbing and Sophie couldn't read and see them all. I was very interested and I can't belive the Vietnamese say 'no war no enemies' after seeing what they did to their own people.

On the way back to our hotel we ended up in the middle of a festival in one of the parks. They had food stalls (which we obviously tried) and all other entertainment. Nearly back to the hotel and we bumped into the Aussie couple that we travelled on the slow boat in Laos with. We ended up having drinks with them on small stools outside a shop on the pavement...knowwhere else apart from Asia! M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb